Running trailer lights wiring on truck without tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tippmann98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a '99 Ram 1500 with a flatbed on it and want to get some wiring run so I can pull a trailer. Where do I even begin? Is there a kit out there that I can buy that just plugs right in or do I have to splice into the brake and tail lights? My main question is what's the difference between my truck and a truck that came from the factory with the tow package and all the wiring and trailer plug in.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe the difference between a factory tow package truck and yours is the tow package truck already has the plug and play trailer socket and possibly a transmission cooler. The plug and play trailer socket is just the factory version of what you will need to do, splice into the brake/reverse/tail lights to connect a trailer socket. Some people go a further and run a trailer brake set-up for pulling a trailer that is equipped with brakes. Make sure your tranny is healthy before you tow with it :)