Strange Electrical Mishap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostedGS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I've disconnected my battery a hand full of time over the last 3 months. Sometimes just the positive and at least twice I've disconnected the Positive and Ground, and cranked the ignition over to make sure it had no juice left. Every time I've done this when I hooked it back up, my radio pre-sets have never changed or reset, and I have the factory stereo. Well all the sudden yesterday I got in the truck to go to dinner and my stereo was reset. It was fine the night before on my way home. So idk, its not like its a huge deal, just a little weird. And was wondering if anyone had anything similar.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Never had that issue with my Infinity radio. I know on the "lesser" radios they do reset every time you disconnect though.

OP
OP
B

BoostedGS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never had that issue with my Infinity radio. I know on the "lesser" radios they do reset every time you disconnect though.

Yeah and I'd assume being the stock deck it would reset after disconnecting the battery but every time I've done that it hasn't reset. Now all the sudden out of nowhere it reset. Like I said its not a big concern for me. I'm trying to sell the truck now that I have it running right. If I keep the truck I'll put in an Alpine deck.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah and I'd assume being the stock deck it would reset after disconnecting the battery but every time I've done that it hasn't reset. Now all the sudden out of nowhere it reset. Like I said its not a big concern for me. I'm trying to sell the truck now that I have it running right. If I keep the truck I'll put in an Alpine deck.
You might pull the cables and see if it resets just for grins.

OP
OP
B

BoostedGS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might pull the cables and see if it resets just for grins.

So I pulled the cables last night. Tried cranking it just to make sure it was dead. Hooked it back up, the clock reset but all my radio presets were there still.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So I pulled the cables last night. Tried cranking it just to make sure it was dead. Hooked it back up, the clock reset but all my radio presets were there still.

That's the EXACT way mine behaves.

CumminsLikeCrazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Inline Cummins
I have the Infinity system with both CD and Cassette. It will reset after the negative ground(s) have been disconnected for a period of time. I don't the exact length required for this to happen. I've never had mine reset disconnecting both negative grounds on my diesel.