Tailight Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Im having some kind of a wiring issue with my passenger side tail light. Whenever the brake, or right turn signal comes on, the reverse light also comes on. It doesnt come on as bright as the brake/turn signal light, but its still lights up faintly and noticeably. The problem is only in the passenger side taillight, the drivers side works fine. Where should i first start looking to solve the problem? Ive pulled the taillight off the truck and looked at the bulb fixtures, everything looked fine...

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Does your truck have a trailer harness on it? Mine was wired up with a 5 wire flat when I got the truck and my reverse lights wouldn't work at all. I checked the wiring from the trailer harness and someone had just cut the wire, stuck the one for the trailer in and just taped it up. It had came apart so all I did was solder the wire back together and the fixed my problems

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Does your truck have a trailer harness on it? Mine was wired up with a 5 wire flat when I got the truck and my reverse lights wouldn't work at all. I checked the wiring from the trailer harness and someone had just cut the wire, stuck the one for the trailer in and just taped it up. It had came apart so all I did was solder the wire back together and the fixed my problems

Actually, it does have the five pin flat harness on it...thats how i have my LED light bar hooked up under my tailgate. But i also added in reverse lights under my rear bumper so i could see backing up at night. The power wire for those is tapped into the passenger side reverse light bulb/harness, which is the light giving me the problems lol but as far as i know everything is wired up right on the trailer harness as i added that in myself. What do you mean by the wire on your harness was cut and taped away though?

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
Make sure your ground is clean. Most electrically wiring issues are of a bad ground.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Im not sure where the problem is lol i looked over all the wiring earlier and it seemed to be fine...ill have to play around with it when its light out..

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
When the PO wired up the trailer harness all they did was cut the power wire to my reverse light, strip both ends and just stuck the 3 ends of the wires together and wrapped them in tape

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
When the PO wired up the trailer harness all they did was cut the power wire to my reverse light, strip both ends and just stuck the 3 ends of the wires together and wrapped them in tape

oh, i never even touched my reverse light wires. i bought the $30 kit where you just plug in the trailer harness in between the taillight harness on each side..

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sounds like a short or a crossed wire. Double check the tail light assembly. Maybe something shorted when you added in the extra light.