trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Well my dad is running into some trouble on his 98. I will get more details on what is all wrong, and what he has tried already to fix it.

When he goes to start it just by turning the key the horns starts blaring, solid. not on/off. He has an aftermarket remote start on it, that I think is the cause. He says the remote hasn't worked in awhile (he has taken to a shop twice to get it fixed.) I think some wires are touching somewhere but not sure. Also if he leaves the fuse in it drains the battery

Again I will get more details tomorrow but wanted to take some general ideas from everyone.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
does it have a relay for it? id try out getting a new one and see if that works

Last edited:

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
i would say you have a hot wire touching the horn wire from the alarm.....that is if the truck will still crank and run properly. if not i would look into replacing the alarm.

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I forgot to call him to see what all he checked. I will ask him tonight.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
When wild stuff like that happens its usually aftermarket wiring. If it don't work then obviously he doesn't use it so I'd take it completely out see if it fixes it

gwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
That happened to my dad with his truck and his alarm, he lost the little remote thingy for the alarm, so he just totally unhooked the alarm completely.

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
He has tried the relay for the horn and also the alarm those are fine. He has a connection at a local dealer he said would take it too in a couple weeks, well I will haul him there.