Turn Signal Gremlin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Front PS turn signal went out last night. Noticed the 2x speed flasher on the cluster. Figured bad bulb or corrosion in socket. Checked both and nothing. E-flasher on PS doesn't blink, turn signal doesn't blink but marker light works. Headlights work, taillights work. Rear turn signals both work. Grounds are good. Socket is good. Everything works except the PS front turn signal and the cluster flashes quickly.
Thinking multifunction switch isn't working correctly. Anything else to check before I replace it? Gonna take another look at it tomorrow before doing anything but multifunction switch looks like the most obvious right now.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
This is gonna sound stupid, but when your blinker does that, try smacking the top column cover.
My dad's 02 has a weird blinker issue that is related to the multifunction switch and that's how we can fix it. lol

OP
OP
dapepper9

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I actually tried that before. Multifunction switch isn't bad tho. I picked up a borgwarner and it still did the same thing so I returned it. It's weird tho cuz I'm getting power to the socket and the marker lights work. Everything else except the high mount reverse lights work but those haven't for quite a while so I doubt that or a bad ground is the issue. Checked damn near everything we can think of and everything checks out but yet still no turn signal.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Mkay....Only thing I can think of is a bad bulb (yes, bad bulb, even it it acts like it's working) or a intermittent short in the wiring going to that socket.

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
I had the same kind of scenario with a truck at work during the winter, the bulb wasnt burnt, both filaments were intact, and marker lights worked, just no turn signal. hooked the bulb up to the tester and somehow the high circuit was burned out without leaving any visual clues

OP
OP
dapepper9

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Getting 11.63v on the working bulb high circuit and the nonworking bounces around a lil bit from 10-11.6v. With that kind of power it should be lighting shouldn't it?

OP
OP
dapepper9

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
So it turned out to be an intermittent short as DD94 suggested. somewhere between the switch and the cluster. Only had power if held at the right spot but no light and we couldnt tell exactly where it was so we ran a new wire to a spot near the battery from the switch and it works like a charm now