uh oh!!!! issues!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
ok guys, so this morning i went to leave for work and i started my truck like always except i found out that NONE of my dash gauges were working and almost all my dummy lights came on, also, the odometer window read "no bus"

i also noticed later on the way to work that everything except the timer on my overhead console read "CCd"

no clue where to even start with this one guys! anyone have an input/suggestions/past knowledge or anything?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yea not good. That usually means PCM bus is a no go. But it is still running. so maybe the pcm didn't go bad. Double check your fuses man.

OP
OP
CumminsCrazed

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
yeah im hoping its only a fuse......only thing is i have NO clue what fuse to check!

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Don't panic! It's usually a connection/ground issue. Living in Humid states that use road salt exacerbates these issues. That shyte gets into places you won't believe and causes annoying issues like you describe.

These ideas should assist you in going the right direction...

Why does your Dodge Ram odometer say no bus

I noticed after reading about a dozen other posts on this subject on the internet (google No Bus Dodge Ram) there seems to be an issue with a main connector near the parking brake that corrodes and dash wiring/grounds. I would start looking for loose or corroded grounds, wires with damaged insualtion, a corroded connectors.

I LOVE the responses where the poster sts they hit the dash, steering column, or jiggle the ignition key....that is >sniff< so, so dodge! :birgits_tiredcoffee

Last edited:

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Here is some information on CCD network...
Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - CCD (Chrysler Collision Detection) Data Bus

Here you can back track the wiring...

CCD-Network-Wiring.jpg

OP
OP
CumminsCrazed

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
ok well i took the connector apart everyone was talking about under the hood in the junction block (white square connector with a bolt in the middle) i used some deoxit cleaner and protectant on it, solved the issue for about 3 key cycles, now the issue is back, and by screwing with that connector i can make the issue temporarily go away, but it comes back momentarily.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My guess is they used similar location and brand of PCM that my 99 Durango has. The heat and up and down temps warp the board and cause the PCM to short out. VERY COMMON on Durango.

OP
OP
CumminsCrazed

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
well i just re cleaned and re protected the entire "block" off wires in that plug, its working again - for now anyway. also, that connector doesn't tighten down very tight, it gets "somewhat" tight then pops loose again with the next turn of the wrench, which i find really odd, but maybe that's how it is?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
well i just re cleaned and re protected the entire "block" off wires in that plug, its working again - for now anyway. also, that connector doesn't tighten down very tight, it gets "somewhat" tight then pops loose again with the next turn of the wrench, which i find really odd, but maybe that's how it is?

That little stamped out sheet metal nut strips out really easy taken a extremely small amount of torque and POP is stripped out.