Wiring subs to stock radio - possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I forgot to post a pic of that, my bad. White is Right +, white w black stripe is Right -. Grey is left +, grey with black stripe is left -. Brown is some sort of amp ground wire, which the LOC box even said was very rare to need to use.

I hooked them up tonight. They work awesome. I can't believe it worked. A buddy of mine is going to help me fine tune them tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
We're going to need a video, sir.

I had always thought about doing a sub on the factory radio, but I don't have to worry about it now. :crazy:

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
We're going to need a video, sir.

I had always thought about doing a sub on the factory radio, but I don't have to worry about it now. :crazy:
You got it, ill show everyone tomorrow. I worked from 8-11PM on getting them installed out in the 20ish degree weather. I was just really excited to see how they sounded haha. Will provide video soon.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You got it, ill show everyone tomorrow. I worked from 8-11PM on getting them installed out in the 20ish degree weather. I was just really excited to see how they sounded haha. Will provide video soon.

That almost gives me inspiration to install my new speakers this weekend.

ALMOST.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
That almost gives me inspiration to install my new speakers this weekend.

ALMOST.
Yeah, forget this cold weather. On christmas eve I was working in the yard in a cutoff t shirt. 4 days later its 15 degrees and snowing. WTF. It sucks having a garage incapable of fitting a car inside.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Curious, and for other viewers... Where did you connect your remote wire for power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious, and for other viewers... Where did you connect your remote wire for power?

That is the wire that activates the amp.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
MagSport, my question is for the op. No disrespect but I am clearly knowledgable of what the remote wire does. His original question was where to hook it up to the factory radio. I would like to know where he ended up with his connection.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
MagSport, my question is for the op. No disrespect but I am clearly knowledgable of what the remote wire does. His original question was where to hook it up to the factory radio. I would like to know where he ended up with his connection.

I connected it to the 12V switch wire. That seemed, to me, the most logical place to wire it into considering it sends 12V only when the radio is on.

Now im having problems, however.

I left all my wires a mess yesterday just to verify the subs worked. They did, i had them bumpin round town all day.

This evening I disconnected the power, ground, and trigger wires to neaten it up and tuck away the excess. I reconnected them all and turned the truck to accessory, worked fine. Resumed tucking the wires away. When I finished, i turned the truck back to accessory to take my video for you guys and the subs worked for about 5 seconds, and then stopped. My multimeter tells me I have about 14V to the trigger wire and to the power wire connected to the battery. I touched the multimeter to the screws on the amp to verify good connection and it all came up fine. Both fuses, one in the amp and one in the power wire. I had the volume pretty low so its not like I blew them up. I didnt really have the volume at the max all day for my passengers sake.

What gives??? Also my wires going to the subs themselves all show 5V

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
I connected it to the 12V switch wire. That seemed, to me, the most logical place to wire it into considering it sends 12V only when the radio is on.

Now im having problems, however.

I left all my wires a mess yesterday just to verify the subs worked. They did, i had them bumpin round town all day.

This evening I disconnected the power, ground, and trigger wires to neaten it up and tuck away the excess. I reconnected them all and turned the truck to accessory, worked fine. Resumed tucking the wires away. When I finished, i turned the truck back to accessory to take my video for you guys and the subs worked for about 5 seconds, and then stopped. My multimeter tells me I have about 14V to the trigger wire and to the power wire connected to the battery. I touched the multimeter to the screws on the amp to verify good connection and it all came up fine. Both fuses, one in the amp and one in the power wire. I had the volume pretty low so its not like I blew them up. I didnt really have the volume at the max all day for my passengers sake.

What gives??? Also my wires going to the subs themselves all show 5V

Fixed it! I changed my ground wire to an alternate location, thats the only thing i truly changed. So i jumped a wire with gator clips on it to where I had it originally, and she lived.

I put the - wire on the multimeter on the ground at the amp and I put the + on power in. I was only getting 8V, while I was getting 12V when i had the ground on the original location.

Im so bad at eletrical and eletrical diag its sad. Im proud of myself, this is quite the achievement! !!

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Cool man! So the "switch" wire is coming out of the factory radio or somewhere else? What color is it?

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Cool man! So the "switch" wire is coming out of the factory radio or somewhere else? What color is it?

It comes from somewhere into the radio. IIRC its red with a white stripe. According to the chart i was looking at, it said there was a plain red wire with a constant 12V, but i didnt see it. I didnt look very hard either though. The 12V switch wire switches the radio on when the truck is on. The wire is dead until you turn the truck on or to accessory, then that wire is supplied with 12V to tell the radio to turn on.

Ill post the wiring chart I used. From about an hour of research, and from my expirence being in there, I'd say its accurate for most if not all 2nd gens. ab4a4b95867d9237b781e94124ec53a8.jpg

Plop92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 8L

Im lazy and hate taking stock radio's out of the dash so i usally find the fuse that goes to the radio wrap the wire around one of the metal things(cant rember what they are called) and place the fuse back in the right slot