01 ram 1500, heim steering, TRE hole size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeHimRamHer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
As basic as it gets. I was wondering what the stock hole size was where the tie rod ends bolt to the hubs? 5/8 or 3/4?

Ordering my misalignment spacers and wasn't sure on which to get, I'm almost positive its the 5/8" but just want to get a more definite answer.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I would not even think of going with 5/8th bolts. The setup I have here uses all 3/4" grade 8 bolts, yes you have to drill the knuckle holes out. If you go 5/8ths how are you dealing with the tapper, can't have a bolt flopping in the hole.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
If your going heim. I'd use tapered heim studs.

OP
OP
DodgeHimRamHer

DodgeHimRamHer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
im ordering the DIY off ballistic-fab. its 3/4 tapper to 5/8 or 7/8 taper to 3/4. i know i have to drill knuckles. im simply asking for opinions here. im running 37x14's.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Here is the kit you should be looking at if this is the route you want to go.

Steering Kit 3/4" with High Misalignment Spacers

My op on this steering setup is it not for the road, off road use only. Some states prohibit welded steering of any kind, you might check with your DOT or inspection station before you start this.

OP
OP
DodgeHimRamHer

DodgeHimRamHer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
NJ's given up on any suspension or stability tests. as long as you can pass emissions here your golden. I know its not the for the street mainly. but i have a daily driver Dakota that i use everyday. my ram is pretty much a "when i feel like driving it" truck now. or on weekends when me and a couple buddies go to the offroad spots.

Thanks for posting the kit though, that was the exact one i was looking at.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I did not see anything in this list but thats not saying it's ok at all. You might have a read at "Other" bottom of the page. I am not trying to be a jerk just don't want anybody denied insurance if needed.

Nice to read it's not your DD anymore much.

New Jersey Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Rules

OP
OP
DodgeHimRamHer

DodgeHimRamHer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah i figured you weren't trying to be a ****. Its safety and the law in some places. I mean i've been reading up more on the "steering upgrade" which is just using a t style instead of a y style. Mix and match on peoples opinions on the taper matching and blah blah blah