1995 dodge ram 1500 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tjkoch95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Hello, I am in the process of looking at a 1995 dodge ram 1500 with the extended cab. The truck has 217,000 miles and has Almost new tires, new water pump and hoses as well front brakes replaced. As well as new Ujoints. The truck is practically rust and ding free. And has been used for moderate towing. Does this truck have some life left or would it be better to save the 1100 dollars towards a newer one?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Depends on how the trans and engine feel. If its got the 5.9 and it doesnt feel like the trans is bad, go for it. Barring any other major concerns. If its got the 5.2 in it, i'd be a little more scrutinizing, don't get me wrong I love my 5.2. Sometimes I find myself wanting of the 5.9 as you can modify and tune a bit more power out of it.

All this is after you do the standard new car inspection.

OP
OP
T

Tjkoch95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Is there any other problems or things to watch for when I go look at the truck?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1467559690141.jpg
    FB_IMG_1467559690141.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 57

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Is there any other problems or things to watch for when I go look at the truck?

Sorry its been awhile, mandatory 12 hour shifts are killing me the past 7 days in a row i've worked.

Just the basic stuff. Fluid colors, trans should be red or close to red, oil should be not milky or soot black, dark brown is fine, black isn't bad as long as its not too far over, coolant shouldn't be overly brown. Mine is yellow, I don't know what factory calls for. Brake fluid should be nearly clear, power steering fluid is pink when new, but as long as its not black its ok, brown is fine if its a light or medium brown.

Check the lights, u-joints, tie rods and ball joints if you have a jack handy. check the hoses for cracks or signs of bulging. listen for squeaks and squeals from the belt and pulleys. Let it warm up and make sure the heater hose and radiator hose are hot and that the fan works. Listen for valve noise, a light ticking is to be expected, but if it sounds like a jackhammer or more than a faint bit like a diesel, there is a problem.

Depress the parking brake all the way to the floor, if it goes easy or snaps halfway down, your parking brake cable needs replacing, thats a dealer or junkyard part only. Also depress the brakes to the floor, if the brake light comes on or the fluid reservoir loses fluid after 15 to 20 pumps, there is a leak.

Don't feel bad if you damage the brakes, its better that you know now instead of when your life depends on it.

When driving or idling if you hear any pinging that sounds like its coming from the engine bay, the plenum is bad and needs to be fixed. Thats anywhere from $30 to $400 depending on what parts you put into it and if you do it yourself.

Check the 4x4 if it has it (straight line only if on pavement, you can make turns on grass and loose dirt).

Ask if you can take one of the rear tires off to inspect the inside of the drum brakes (no retaining nut, they come right off).

Thats all I can think of at the moment.