1996 5.2 running problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moparlife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 96 ram 318.

a few months ago it overheated so i replaced the radiator,thermostat, waterpump, and a freeze plug.

it ran like ****.

i put new plugs,wires, cap and rotor.

still ran like **** and was overheating.

i put some blue devil in it and it still ran like **** but hasnt went over 195..

i didnt do anything to it for a few months couldnt find a problem.
so recently i had the check engine like checked and it said it was random missfire on like 4 cylinders so i replaced the coil pack still did it and replaced the wires and plugs again.

truck does not use water does not leak water, and the oil is perfect so could it be a blown head gasket. i have asked around and since no water is disappearing and no water in the gas everyone says no..

going about 45-50mph and 12-1400rpms the truck jolts like its missing. i pop overdrive off and it runs like a champ.

check engine light is till on saying its random missfire on cylinders 1 and 2

Does anyone know what it could be.. i have mechanics telling me they have no idea.

Thanks, Tyler

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hmmm That is a doosey. It could be a cracked head (most probable since the overheating) but it could also be a head gasket on the exhaust side. Also could be intake gaskets. Intake gaskets are easy to diagnose. While it's running if it will stay running in idle take some starter fluid and spray around the intake gaskets. If the rpm raises then you know the head gaskets need changed. I have a similar problem but it's random. my #7 cylinder will give me a random misfire. ever so often.

Another thing to look in to would be a compression test on each cylinder and post the results that will tell us a lot.

OP
OP
moparlife

moparlife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i think its the fuel injector /: gonna replace cylinder 2 injector in the morning and see if that was the problem

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
im gonna go with, intake gaskets, injectors,crank sensors, compression test, or possibly bad ecu

OP
OP
moparlife

moparlife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
it wasnt the injector i just replaced... im taking it to a shop on Thursday to figure out exactly whats wrong with it

OP
OP
moparlife

moparlife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
little bit of an update.... compression test good, fuel pressure test good, fog test a little fail.. a little leak from the gasket from the throttle body. replaced the gasket and the idle air control module sense it was easy to get to. Truck runs way better then it did.. had it hooked up to the machine and it said i was running lean, unplugged the upstream (before cat) o2 sensor and runs without a problem.. i havnt replaced it yet but it is unplugged and running great.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Good to hear! Vacuum leaks are a pain. Glad you had a smoker to test it all out.