1996 dodge ram 1500 5,9l 46re 4x4 actuator and axle questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leffyritty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8
I own 5 jeeps and have owned all types of trucks and have always had solid front axles. This is my first with a actuator on the front axle. What I am trying to figure out is why I cant simply make a solid one piece axle shaft to bypass this. Why is it required? Its not like the transfer case will be engaged in 4x4. So why do we not want these two shafts locked together? Im rather confused why its there in the first place. The only thing it controls is the front power wheel. Help me understand this and what would be the cons of removing this system. Thank You.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Because some idiot at Chrysler decided it was a great idea then eliminated it for the 2002+ 2500/3500 trucks.

There's ways about doing away with it:
D60 swap with 2002 shaft
Flip the fork and manually engage it then remove vacuum lines
Couple other ways I'm not sure of

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cons are that the Ram trucks get horrible mileage as it is. Disconnecting the front axle shafts allows the front end to spin freely, exact same idea as having manual locking hubs, only you don't have to get out of the vehicle to engage the 4 wheel drive.

There are kits available that will bypass the setup, although they're pretty pricey for the outcome that you get.

I'm in the process of regearing my truck to 4.88's and rather than put the CAD back in, I'll be doing the Posi-Lok. Replaces everything vacuum with mechanical cables.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Because some idiot at Chrysler decided it was a great idea then eliminated it for the 2002+ 2500/3500 trucks.

Then brought it back for 2013+ 2500/3500 trucks. I guess something is going on lol :crazy:

Although its electronic, not vacuum.

OP
OP
L

leffyritty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8
Well as long as I'm not going to break anything I guess I'm going to remove it. When I get done rebuilding the trans I'll let you guys know about any change in fuel consumption

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly if you have an open carrier in the front you probably won't notice anything.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Lol omg u guys, Cad, part time hubs all that **** is for mpg. From a guy that had a dl in the front spinning all that **** including the xcase does use more gas.

OP
OP
L

leffyritty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8
The transfer case will be in 2wd front shaft will spin with the front axle but not the transfer case just like in any other 4x4. I don't see how a front free turning complete front end. Will get any better mpg than one split in half. Which is why I'm confused of why it's there in the first place. Perhaps when I'm done rebuilding the transmission and reinstalling it. I will get down there with a torque wrench and measure the resistance with and without.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
If you take the cad out of play u are spinning all that crap, axle shaft, r&p driveshaft and all the internals of the xcase. If you think that does not take up mpg well......

This has been proven for years **** decades so nothing to dispute is there. And well i did it and so i know what's what.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
The transfer case will be in 2wd front shaft will spin with the front axle but not the transfer case just like in any other 4x4. I don't see how a front free turning complete front end. Will get any better mpg than one split in half. Which is why I'm confused of why it's there in the first place. Perhaps when I'm done rebuilding the transmission and reinstalling it. I will get down there with a torque wrench and measure the resistance with and without.

The spider and side gears spin. Ring, pinion, and front driveshaft sit. I don't understand what you're saying.

Noonie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a question about my 97 ram 1500 sport...My 4wd stopped working and my actuators working..I can manually pull the shift collar over the axle,I guess it is...And bolt my actuator back on..It's still not in 4wd..Help plse..

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a question about my 97 ram 1500 sport...My 4wd stopped working and my actuators working..I can manually pull the shift collar over the axle,I guess it is...And bolt my actuator back on..It's still not in 4wd..Help plse..

Does the driveshaft spin when you pull the lever?

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cons are that the Ram trucks get horrible mileage as it is. Disconnecting the front axle shafts allows the front end to spin freely, exact same idea as having manual locking hubs, only you don't have to get out of the vehicle to engage the 4 wheel drive.

There are kits available that will bypass the setup, although they're pretty pricey for the outcome that you get.

I'm in the process of regearing my truck to 4.88's and rather than put the CAD back in, I'll be doing the Posi-Lok. Replaces everything vacuum with mechanical cables.

I have the posi lok in my truck and love it.

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why so? It locks and unlocks without a problem, just have to shift the truck into reverse and it takes the pressure off to shift out. Never had a problem once I put that on.