1998 Sport rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge4me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1998 Ram Sport standard cab 6ft bed 5.2 5 speed built 3/98 that i bought new from Burgunder Dodge in Bridgeville Pa at the end of 4/98 the truck has 202000 miles and has been driven by myself its whole life being from western Pa and with Pendot spreading salt with reckless abandon blisters have occured from time to time and were fixed when they showed up three years ago I put a Texas bed and front fendars on it I was planning on putting a cab corner on it in the spring putting off a cab change for 3-4 years mechanicaly the truck has been fixed with the best parts avaliable through the years two weeks ago while replaceing the drag link for my upcomming Pa inspection i found a rotted frame on the drivers side just ahead of the away bar bushing so with too much invested and not wanting to spend 40-50K to replace its time to rebuild with rebuilds in the past on 93 back dodges and friends fords and chevys some questions come to mind are there year breaks in the frame or will any 94-02 1/2 ton 119in wheel base frames work and the same question with the cab did the cab shell change with the dash change in 98 is there a differance with 4x4 cabs or air/non air cabs is the cab floor the same for 1/2-1 ton also please point out any other differances that I may have not thought of this is my first all out atack on a BR any facts will be welcome thanks in advance

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Cabs from 94 up should be the same as yours as long as its also a manual trans. Auto will work but you'll have to knock out the holes for the clutch master and hole for shifter. As far as I know the frames are the same but don't know for sure

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cabs from 94 up should be the same as yours as long as its also a manual trans. Auto will work but you'll have to knock out the holes for the clutch master and hole for shifter. As far as I know the frames are the same but don't know for sure

I believe that it's actually a plate that can be unbolted for swaps to manual trans. But as far as everything else, the cabs and frames should be the same. There shouldn't be any differences in hvac systems short of missing parts if its a non a/c truck such as evap core and ac lines that run through the firewall and even the there should be removable plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
No plate you will have to cut the floor or make a patch cover for it. Frames will be the same for a reg cab truck, club-cab frame's are not the same no matter what the wheelbase is.

I don't see a lot of Reg cab short bed frames around at all. You not allowed to weld on the frame to patch that area because of VI laws/rules?

OP
OP
D

Dodge4me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not a fan of welded frames usually if it blows out in one place it will go somewhere else and my is gone in a place that is tough to fix right ahead of the steering box and sway bar mount area and with the steering problems these trucks have I don't think its a chance I want to take I have located more than I thought I would on a sight my body man gave me car-parts.com it's a junk yard serch sight it's just a matter of making sure what year cab and frame will work make some calls take a weeks vacation in the spring and head south thanks for all help keep it comming as for pic's I'll try but not too tech savy if YA know what I mean hell I'm not sure I'm doing this posting stuff right

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You are posting fine, but lack of punctuation makes them hard to read. That is a good website for parts. I understand the not wanting to weld thing.