2000 dodge ram 1500 5.9 died and wont start back up...help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgeboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
2000 dodge ram 1500 5.9 -- died and wont start up-- .help!!

Hi there all! I Have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 5.9

The other day i was driving and the truck just completely shut off and would not start...just turned over like i was out of gas. ..code read p0351...i changed the coil, rotor and cap, plugs and wires, no change. ...so i replaced the crank sensor no change, replaced the cam sensor and it fired right up. ..drove it for 10 minutes and it died again and would not start. ..Same issue as before...the cam sensor cost me 100 and i dont want to jave to keep buying them...could it be the computer?? Please help asap this is day 3 now and dont wanna bring it to a garage if i dont have to because they are too expensive

Any other info you need let me know

Its definitely not a fuel issue ...pump comes on and the spray test works fine

Thanks all and looking forward to hearing an answer to this weird and crazy problem

OP
OP
D

dodgeboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Any one out there can help me shed some light on this???

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Phrase used to attract the attention of other forum members but since no one is responding I'll give it a go.

The only thing I can think of since you are getting fuel is either an air issue, or a spark/timing issue. Is there any way the distributor could have moved, even the slightest little bit? Also like I said on the previous thread it may be sensor related. I'm not to fluent in those matters though so hopefully dodgedude or merc will swing by and provide a better solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
What brand parts are you using? These should be Mopar parts only. Check all the grounds going from the cab to the motor (three, back of heads to the firewall) and some from the batt to the chassis and motor. Fuel psi should be checked with a gauge, using your fingernail to depress the schrader valve is not going to be well accurate. 49 psi at the rail is what you need to have.

OP
OP
D

dodgeboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Thank you very much for replying...maybe i will add some more in for any passing members...

So i did some tests...so far there is 11.5 volts at the coil and when i crank it over im getting the flash pulse ...thwre is np spark coming out of the high tension side of the coil...so coil right!? Well i tried the original coil and new coil and same results. ..i tried both coils in my friends truck and his truck started no problem. ...

So i put my original one back into my truck

Then my buddy moved some wires around on the drivers side top motor area and it started....ran poorly for 10 seconds and died once again...i asked him which wires did he move and he said the one that attaches to the cam sensor so i looked at it and it looks fine...moved it around some more un plugged and plugged back in tried to start it and nothing...just turns over again... :(

Im at a loss here

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going out on a limb here. Is your cat clogged? When the truck can no longer get rid of the exhaust gases, it will shut the truck down. After time the cat will air out a bit and allow the truck to run for a short while again. I know this does not fit with the code you were getting but, if you replaced all that stuff, i dunno. Hope ya get it sorted out!

OP
OP
D

dodgeboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I seriously dont think its a fuel issue...if i turn it over too long it gets fludded ...lots of gas smell

Besides no spark coming from the top post of the coil...

????????

OP
OP
D

dodgeboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Hey thanks for the replies. Don't think its the cats either. ..i have just recently replaced muffler and added 2 tail pipes out the back....it was getting good air.flow

Definitely is a spark or wiring or possibly computer? I hope its not the pcm..

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
CKPS controls spark.
Cam position sensor controls fuel injectors.

As posted check all the grounds, then do some wire chasing make sure all is well. Have you done a hard reset for the pcm after this work was done? If not please do it, disconnect the batt neg cable, turn on the headlights (no they won't work) recon the batt and run it up.

Edit; Unplug all the wiring plugs going into the pcm, clean and apply dielectric grease. Batt discon for this work please.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dodgeboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
This is rediculously serious now...its been down today is the 4th day...

OP
OP
D

dodgeboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Ok merc. I havent done a reset after changing parts no...and what is the ckps? Crank position sensor?

Right now truck only reads the p0351 code...

And just to confirm the. Cam position sensor is. The one that goes in the distributor right!? Ive heard and read both so just want to make sure

OP
OP
D

dodgeboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
That will reset the battery? So disconnect the negative lead turn on headlights the reconnect negative terminal?

Only part thats not mopar i believe is the crank postion sensor ...the one above the tranny

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
That will reset the battery? So disconnect the negative lead turn on headlights the reconnect negative terminal?

Only part thats not mopar i believe is the crank position sensor ...the one above the tranny

You got it.

Not good that sucks.

CKPS = Crank position sensor back of the motor pass side. Very fussy part BWD and Standard have issues, this is why I say Mopar part only.
Cam position sensor is found in the dizzy.

Lets see what codes you get after a reset of the pcm. One should always have the batt disconnected when changing out any sensor, this protects the pcm and let's it relearn the new parts parameters.

Sorry I am slower than dial up for web service.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dodgeboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Awesome no worries. ..ok. im gonna give this a test and see what happens...

OP
OP
D

dodgeboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
So just to confirm...i leave the psitive cable intact?

OP
OP
D

dodgeboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Wouldnt the truck still start if its the ckps?

OP
OP
D

dodgeboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
And remember it did start yesterday day when i put in the new cps for about 10-15 minutes...it ran perfectly. ..figured it was all good the it shut down again!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
So just to confirm...i leave the psitive cable intact?

Yes. When disconnecting any batt you always disconnect the neg side first, this way if your wrench touches any other part it will not short out. Batts explode they are the equivalent to three sticks of tnt.

Lol your killing me with all the seperate posts lol.

No it will not run if either part fails, ckps or cps. CKPS triggers the ign coil no trigger no spark from the coil.

Last edited: