2001 ram sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gconti

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 sport
Engine
Hello I have a 2001 ram sport quad cab...
I recently been having trouble getting my truck to start... I changed the driver door to a replacement due to rust. Prior to this the truck would start No problem, but then I locked the truck. When I went to go in again, and start the truck, it immediately went into anti theft mode..
The wire harness in the door is correct, but the anti theft is acting up and will not allow me to get fuel. I towed it to the dealer and they told me that the TCM is locked in a funk..

So I had to track down a replacement, because dodge does not supply TCM for 2001. Gave TCM to dealer, which they told me should do the job, but it did not. The. They told me that all I need is a key fob to assist the programming, so I ordered and got that too... They said they still cannot get the truck to work... Not getting fuel. I asked if the anti theft is still engauge dandy the rep failed to know yes or no... They also told me that they no longer want to work on the truck... So I have to have it towed to my friends garage shop... Nice huh?

My question is, could I have the wrong door actuator in the door? Reason why I ask is because how else would a truck know wether a key or fob is being used to unlock disengage the anti theft?

Is there some king of electronic sensor in the actuator?

I am at wits end so any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated...
PS. It has a brand new interstate battery...

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I don't have an alarm system in my truck, however as is stated in the service manual, the CTM (Central Timer Module) is what activates the security system, it co-operates with the PCM to shut down the engine if there is a problem, however it should only shut down the engine if the lights and horn are also active and flashing.

If the door replacement caused a problem, I would suspect the door ajar switch. I doubt the lock actuators are different in alarmed and non-alarmed vehicles. However, if you still have your old door, it cant hurt to swap the whole locking mechanism. I do not know if our keys in the 2001's are chipped, but its possible that if they are, the lock cylinder has a reader in it.

Since you now have a key fob, you should be able to actively disarm it by using the key fob to unlock the truck, seeing as the key hasn't changed it should still operate the same with the steering column anyway.

Them replacing the CTM may have caused problems if they didn't also match it to the PCM, as the PCM controls the engine lockout. The PCM, once having engine lockout enabled cannot be disabled, instead it requires a new PCM. Since you are talking about a TCM, im guessing you are referring to the CTM (no worries, there is a lot of terminology thrown around in some shops to make the customer feel lost and encourage them to just go with what the dealer says).

I would suspect either the lock mechanism or the door ajar switch, as well as find out exactly what they did to your truck. If they didn't check the door ajar switch or locking mechanism to see if it was working properly then there was no reason to go after the CTM, especially since you had the problem AFTER replacing the door. Not that they will refund your money, sorry mate.

From what I have read, the CTM does not need to be programmed to the PCM, however, once the PCM has the engine lockout feature enabled and has seen 20 successful start attempts, it will wait for the Engine Enable signal from the CTM.

Since you are not having the horn and lights go off, I would think that the CTM is not having a problem with the anti-theft system, but instead is not sending the Engine Enable signal to the PCM.

I would check to make sure the door ajar switch is working. As for the lock cylinder, some vehicles are equipped with a central unlocking feature, in which a multiplexed resistor network in each lock cylinder waits for key input in order to signal both doors to unlock when they key is used on either one. It is possible that the door you got lacks this function and thus is not providing the CTM with that input. Making the CTM not behave properly.

My guess would be that either your door ajar switch or lock mechanism is not the same as on your old door and caused the problem. When the dealer replaced your CTM its likely they didn't even bother touching either of the previously mentioned things. Along with possibly, depending on the tech working on your vehicle didn't enable the security setting on the 'new' CTM.

Find out what they did, then check back with us. Hopefully its a relatively easy fix from here.