2003 Dodge ram No Bus problem help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roccat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone Im new here and so far this forum is pretty nice. I have a quick question about my 2003 dodge ram 1500 with a 4.7 v8. The truck ran and drove fine until I bought me another vehicle in the summer of 2015. I parked my truck for say 2 and half months. Came to start it nothing. Then I charged the battery and still nothing. Checked all fuses and even tried another battery and nothing happens. I get NO BUS on the dash when i Plug code reader in and the gauges none of them work at all. Light and radio work but the truck wont do nothing even when i turn the key, silent. What could of happened in them 2months that would of caused it to do this and thanks for any help really appreciate it!!!

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
First thing to try is clear all your codes.
DISCONNECT, and FULLY charge the battery, reconnect and try again.

OP
OP
R

roccat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I already have and still nothing the battery is but 6 months old. And I cant clear my codes with a reader cause all the code readers I have tried say no bus like the dash.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can you do the self diagnostic test where you push and hold the odometer button while you cycle the key position from off to on and keep it pressed? All the lights should turn on and off and you should get a string of codes... maybe something different.

OP
OP
R

roccat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill have to try that once I get a new key. I lost my old one lol. But Ive read that some people said the problem can be in the pcm

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It can be your PCM. Just trying to run through the EASY stuff first...lol

OP
OP
R

roccat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where would the fusable link be?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
between you battery and everything else. There may be two, one between your alternator and battery and one between your battery and your main fusebox. Also may be a fuse at the battery terminal. If you have a multi-meter, you can check the wire from your battery to the alternator and from your battery to your fusebox/PCM for continuity. If the circuits are good, its time for a more "technical" solution.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's very possible that when your battery went dead, you dead shorted it when you tried to charge it/jump it the first time. This could have (hopefully), blown the fusable link before damaging anything else.

OP
OP
R

roccat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah the truck acted like it wanted to click over then after that nothing was bone dead charged it fully up and still nothing so how do i go about changing the fusable link

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
you splice a new one in place. It's a pain, but way cheaper than some of the alternatives.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Your truck is a 3rd gen, but when I had this issue on my 2nd Gen 2000 ram it ended up being the PCM and I tried all the cheap alternatives first.

If you don't have the key how do you plan on testing this stuff? IS your ignition and steering column free to turn with say a screwdriver? IF that is the case you may have an anti theft device in play.

Octavio 867

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.4
have same trouble today and after checking was a 20 amp blue fuse after replace the fuse , I get six beeps from the cluster and the No Bus message was cleared and the actual mileage was displayed, near the battery there is a black plastic box, after pressing the two latches, you may remove the top that cover the fuses, inside you will find two different kinds of fuses, some are of colored transparent plastic and the others have opaque colored walls and a transparent top, one of these was the cause of my problem, if you wish I may send you a pic.