46re help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matthew.starling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can anyone tell me on the 46re how do the cooler lines connect. Are they one way only. I believe the rear connector goes to the top of the radiator and the front connector goes to the bottom of the radiator. Or does it matter? Thanks!

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't.

Rad cooler pulls out lots of heat and helps warm trans fluid faster on colder days.

The factory always uses the rad cooler and then an external cooler for towing applications. They pay engineers for that advice.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Don't.

Rad cooler pulls out lots of heat and helps warm trans fluid faster on colder days.

The factory always uses the rad cooler and then an external cooler for towing applications. They pay engineers for that advice.

Not true. Rad cooler doesn't do very much cooling at all. Factory does not always use that setup either, especially on towing applications. For example, many trucks came with a rad that didn't even have provisions for trans cooling and ran 1 external cooler directly in front that contained an internal 100 degree thermostat. My truck is one of them and im from Iowa where we see anywhere from -20+ to 100+ throughout the year. It actually did pretty well until a Durango crunched it.

Unless you live somewhere near or in Canada, you won't gave issues

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rad cooler is a liquid to liquid cooler. The liquid in the rad is 980 times denser than air so in fact is capable of pulling much more heat from the trans than the same area cooler would be able to do in air.

Run both.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The only reason to still run it through the radiator, is if you buy a small little trans cooler. If you get one thats a square foot or more, there isn't any point in using the radiator, unless of course you like putting an extra quart of liquid gold for fluid/filter changes.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Rad cooler is a liquid to liquid cooler. The liquid in the rad is 980 times denser than air so in fact is capable of pulling much more heat from the trans than the same area cooler would be able to do in air.

Run both.

In theory yes but reality doesn't necessarily talk to theory before it decides to do something. These trucks have quite the pattern for overheating thx to factory rad cooler not doing its job. Some of Tyne fluid thats "cooling" it is still 190 degrees. At that point you've already passed ideal trans temps. They also clog and flow poorly vs aftermarket or factory aux unit. Once you see 100 degrees you're golden pony boy, no need for any more warming. Trans can do that on its own too without help unless, like i mentioned easier, you're in the way up north in -40f temps. Aux with a thermostat, external or integrated doesn't matter, is the BEST thing you can do for these cooling wise