46RE high RPM shifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wicklundwf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
High rpms to shift from 1st to 2nd but trans doesn't shift from 2nd into higher gears. I've seen that high RPM shifts from 1st gear usually is the governor pressure sensor repair kit. It has aux cooler. Any ideas. New Ram owner.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Its time for a rebuild. Gov pressure solenoids can go bad, when they do it can cause other components to wear out prematurely. Try putting it into neutral then back in drive when you're at a point it won't shift but should.

Its possible that the kickdown band is trashed at this point, if thats the case, the only way to fix it is a rebuild.

The first step is to try a fluid and filter change. If you feel like it you can also change the pressure solenoid while the pan is down. That will buy you time until you can afford a rebuild.

OP
OP
W

Wicklundwf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
46RE high RPM shift

I've tried shifting in other gears yet it won't shift higher than 2nd. It takes quite a bit to get it to shift from first. I've got those sensors on order, panned is off and lots of mud on the magnet. Also I've got 1/2" of play at the rear band. After all that is done if it doesn't solve the issue, rebuild will be in order. Thank you for the reply.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
+1 to trying to do a service and sensor change. Much much cheaper and 9/10 times it gives you some time

OP
OP
W

Wicklundwf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I changed the sensors and filter. I probably should've adjusted the bands too but didn't. The truck shifts in all gears but slips if I get on it. It's better than it was.