4wd and transfer case issues, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
straight forward....

the front driveshaft turns while in 2wd and apparently it should not
I believe the transfer case is not disengaging the DS
when shifting into 4wd, it does it easily. I can tell it changes to 4wd, I.E. the vacuum engages the axle shafts.

I am thinking of pulling out the front DS until I can solve the transfer case problem b/c I dont want the shaft spinning to damage anything inside the dif or whatever. I believe this is the cause of my noise.

opinions???

willyjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the linkage to make sure the shifter isn't binding when trying to put it back into 2 high. A cheap help might be to just change the fluid in the TC. If this hasn't been done it can make changing into and out of 4wd a problem.

If you run without the front shaft, you should make sure you set your brake when parked.

OP
OP
rambob

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
another option...

the driveshaft is not disengaged completely inside the axle.

I guess I will remove the shaft and see which side continues to turn.

I have a service manual.

OP
OP
rambob

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
thank you willyjr for your reply.

OP
OP
rambob

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
parking brake even with and automatic?

reading the service manual... I'm thinking WillyJr is on the right track.

how do I check and/ or adjust the linkage???

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
My truck does the same thing, always has. Im pretty sure all the trucks do that unless they have locking hubs which most of em dont these days. My dads 04 hemi does, my boss' 94 3500 does, etc. Its a normal thing. Who told you it shouldnt?

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The drive shaft always spins becauses the front tires spin. Tires spin-diff spins-driveshaft spins.

joetama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The drive shaft always spins becauses the front tires spin. Tires spin-diff spins-driveshaft spins.

This. The shaft does not disconnect from the dif. So if the wheels turn the shaft turns.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
2nd Gens seem to have frequent leaking seals from what I have seen. Sounds like normal operation IMO. Easy To confirm 4wd operation is to do some parking style turns in the at slow speed and you will know as it will/pull/dig in and jerk somewhat while doing that in 4wd. 2wd it will turn normal and smoothly. Unsure do this test. Good Luck.

OP
OP
rambob

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
not my understanding...

The left wheel is connected to the axle directly in a similar fashion to a full-time 4wd axle. The right axleshaft consists of two shafts: one engaged to the differential, the other to the right wheel. A sliding sleeve connects the two separate shafts when 4wd is engaged. While in 2wd, the left wheel turns the spider gears and through it, the right inner axleshaft. Since the two right shafts aren't connected, the right wheel is free to turn independently of the left. While the spider gears spin, the ring gear, and thereby the front driveshaft, stay stationary -- allowing for a decreased amount of drag on the driveline.

When you engage 4wd, a synchronizer in the transfercase spins up the front driveshaft; at the same time, a vacuum switch opens, causing the vacuum motor in the CAD to try and lock together the right axle shafts. Engagement does not occur until the splines on the shaft lines up with the ones on the sleeve. As the sleeve slides over, it trips an electronic switch, turning on the 4wd light in your dash.

source Dodge CAD System Explained by 4x4Wire.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
rambob

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
following the first image along with my problem.... when in 2wd the light stays on the front shaft spins, therefore the problem is with the TC linkage or TC itself.

my plan is to remove the front driveshaft, check and or change the TC fluid level, then see which side is remaining to spin... the TC or the axle. if its the axle is may be an easy fix.
I'm hoping its the linkage.

and thank you for all the responses.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
that is some good info you found there....Hopefully this is an easy fix for you.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Ok, my Bad wrong set-up, earlier 2nd gen Solid. My experience is in th 3rd Gen 1500 4x4 1/2 shaft set-up which is not Complicated what so ever. Sounds like you understand your set-up, good luck with it, hope you get it fixed.

OP
OP
rambob

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
hey, no problem.
it is difficult to understand. I spent days trying to grasp it.
the YJ jeep wrangler and I think certain years Cherokee have this as well. being a former jeep guy, I have asked those guys as well. I got most of the same responses.
:Wedgie:

OP
OP
rambob

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
update...
pulled the driveshaft - those flange bolts on the Tc are a pain.
axle side was the problem side.
took off the axle vacuum actuator panel, noticed the vacuum disc thing was mis-shapened from an impact. sure enough that was the reason the driveshaft was not disengaging. the pin with the colar could not slide completely open due to the bent vacuum actuator. I went to the part store, $30. not reguarly in stock. so I ordered one. got back home decided I had to put it back together anyways so I will try to bend it back. got my tie rod seperater and pry'd that thing back straight. the pin slides great. put it back together. no 4wd light in 2wd! success! went back to the part store and cancelled the order.

it feels so relieving to finally have that fixed.

now awaiting this tropical storm and its 20" of forcasted rain.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Glad you got it figured out man.
And send some of that rain this way. I was reading an article in a local paper saying we need another 15" of rain before we hit normal drought standards...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk