4x4 actuator question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
I have a 5.9 gas 2500 and i noticed the 2 vacuum lines + and - were very loose and came off from rusting. So i go ahead and bought a new new actuator at local parts store. Was changing it but the bolts snapped off yea i know FML. then i realizd i might need a new housing as well. ordered that so its all on the way. Also one of the wires were spliced. NOW im just noticing what i THINK is the vacuum line? the fatter one that goes up in the engine bay but its blocked off?! Please tell me i didnt buy the parts for nothing! Maybe previous owner bypassed the actuator?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The thick black hose is the vent hose for the front diff, it has nothing to do with the cad operation.

Photo for reference.

2014-02-09_12-08-23_142_zpse5406336.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
Thanks! newb here! Sucks that i gotta have the whole housing replaved and retap the bolts since they all snapped

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a thought, but get rid of the crappy vacuum system and look up Posi Lok. Put it on my truck and love it. Still use the transfer case to set the driveshaft in gear then use the cable to engage the front axle. It's flawless so far for me after install. Had it 3 years. Then cap the vacuum lines (I still need to do this) and you're good to go.

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
i heard about that. its a manual cable right? i think they have that on ebay and pretty expensive

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yes it is a manual cable lock system, some like it others hate it with a passion. I personally have never had any complaints about the vac CAD system, keep it maintained and it works just fine.

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
i actually ended up ordering the housing and the actuator from rock auto last week just waiting to get it installed. I was gonna get this unit u mentioned i believe itll save a headache in the long run plus i havent even test my vacuum line to make sure its functioning right or not. Or if i need new lines etc i shoulve went this route instead. Sending the stuff back would cost shipping fees and restocking fees so fk it

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I have never had issues with any cad setup either.. very user friendly as long as they are right imo

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With all the vacuum problems these trucks tend to have, I chose the cable that way I know it will work when I need it to and not hoping it works when I need it to. To each their own. But yes the cable setup was not cheap but in the long run its worth it I feel. Mine I ordered from eBay as well. Pretty easy install.

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
With all the vacuum problems these trucks tend to have, I chose the cable that way I know it will work when I need it to and not hoping it works when I need it to. To each their own. But yes the cable setup was not cheap but in the long run its worth it I feel. Mine I ordered from eBay as well. Pretty easy install.

yea i think im gonna return all the **** i got i dont even want to bump in to a vacuum issue when its all installed just in case. My biggest problem now is the 4 bolts holding the housing in is rotted and 2 already snapped off when i was trying to repair it myself so im gonna have a shop do it and retap the threads..

BTW guys its weird my 4x4 still works idk if the actuator is stuck engaged or not but the other day it was snowing here and i was stuck. put it in 4x4 high and went right thru the snow. Maybe it was the left front wheel? and the right side not engaged?

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good idea on having them tap the housing. Just a heads up if you do the cable, make sure to get some rtv to make a good seal on the housing.. Also careful driving without anything keeping the collar secure if you plan to drive from the shop back home to do the install, the collar will slide back and forth if not held in place and cause internal axle damage.

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
my actuator seems to have been broken for awhile now ive never noticed or felt it sliding back and fourth

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
Update: I guess my mechanic told me one one of the vacuum lines doesn't work so I'm returning it all and getting the manual

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not the actuator itself, but inside is a collar controlled by a fork attached to the actuator. The collar will slide if the fork is not secured. Reason I'm saying this is when I made the switch I didn't secure the fork properly, turned a corner and I heard then felt the collar move over to engage the axle. Just a heads up to get all of it torn down and back together at one place or secure the collar so it won't try to engage and tear something up.
Also if you want any help on the install if you plan to do it yourself let me know, the directions are pretty straight forward but full color pics help.

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
i would do it myself but i need to retap the thread and idk how to do that however this is on pause now because I ran into another problem today as i was going to fedex to return the actuator assembly i punched it from a red light and now im leaking coolant from the right side of the water pump. im having a lot of bad luck with this back to back as much i like the truck but im begining to lose interest. After researching i hearing it could be the timing cover gasket, heater hose, head gasket, freeze plugs, intake gasket, idk :/ doesnt overheat tho so doubt its the head gasket.. FML!:Stupid Me::wtf2::Rant:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
She is 18 years old give her a break.

Find a new tech please one that knows these trucks and how things work. You can download the factory service manual here on RF from the Diy area, I suggest you do.

There are lots of smart people here on RF ask for help and I know you will get it.

What's your skill level as a mech?

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
im not a full blown mech but always did my own work. Im limited to tools and its pretty cold here. So i found out my timing chain cover blew the gasket and its a 175 labor work for a $5 gasket. My smart ass shouldve bought some stop leak and tried that 1st. Idk where theres a spot around here thats good on working on dodges my mechanic is good at domestics. Theres more problems to my ram that i havent mentioned just dont want to jack my own thread. actuator, fuel sender unit, OD doens t work anymore, late shifts, headers rotted out, small valve cover gasket leak thats gonna need a new cover and retap. story of my life

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stop leak is nothing but more damage in these trucks from what I've seen. Put it in before I found that out, so I won't be adding anymore of that. Sounds like you've got a long list of repairs ahead....

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
slowly but gradually. honestly i like the truck but since im geteting in to it im seeing all these small issues. My main concern is getting that gov/solenoid kit from ebay i heard good reviews on it. something i could do myself but im not too familiar about adjusting the bands 20150104_141149_zpsyik9xuyh.jpg

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea can't help you on that one lol. But nice looking truck.