97 ram cruise/odometer problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teele

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
Hey there, I was wanting to know if anyone can answer my question of why my cruise and odometer don't work. I just did a tranny swap from 47re auto to nv4500 manual as well as transfer case swap. The new case came out of a 98 and has no place for the speedometer sensor to plug in. I guess in 98 they began reading the speed off the differential. I ended up buying a dakota digital sgi 5 and pulled the signal off my rear abs. I spliced into the red wire coming from the sensor in the differential and then put the 1 of 3 white wire from my transfer case speed sensor into the output location on the sgi 5. The black from the speed sensor is to the ground and the orange is taped off...not hooked up. I am getting the speedometer to work and the trip odometer works but not the cruise. The main odometer flips one tenth every mile I go.

Does anyone know why both odometer's don't work together and why my cruise doesn't work? If my signal is pulled off the abs and then recalibrated with the sgi 5 and output into the regular speed sensor wire, why wouldn't everything work as if it was plugged into the original sensor in the transfer case?

Do I have the SGI-5 hooked up wrong or on the wrong setting? Does the orange power wire need to complete the circuit? I thought that if the speedometer was working that the odometer would too...does the main odometer read off the computer? Is the imput signal to weak since I spliced into abs sensor?

Can anyone help? It's over my head.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
First off Welcome to the forum.

Second it sounds like a PCM issue with the swapped tranny. The year from 97 to 98 made several changes. They did in fact get rid of the rear trans sensor and went to the diff only. So there is why that isn't there. Next the PCM is probably set up to receive the signal from the trans sensor that doesn't exist. The trip it probably already set to read signal from the diff. You could try and swap in a 98 rear diff sensor and try to trace the wires. But outside of those ideas I'm not too sure.

Again Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay and please hop over tot he intro section and say hi.

OP
OP
T

teele

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
dokota digital sgi 5, cruise and odo not working right

Thanks for the reply. I don't believe the trip odo. read off the abs sensor because it was not working until I plugged in the sgi 5. Neither was the speedometer.

Can anyone tell me why both trip odo. and main odo. don't turn at the same rate in relation to the speedometer? Why does my main odo. turn one tenth of a turn every mile I go on the trip odo.? I would have thought these would have been syncronized.

And why doesn't my cruise work if the I am sending the same signal in my speedo sensor that it was getting when it was plugged into the transfer case? Was there some other wire hooked up to the auto tranny before I swapped it out for the manual? The only wires not hooked up are a two wire plug that I think is the temp. sensor and another single plug with 6-8 small wires. I thought that was to control the shifting of the auto tranny and uneccesary for the manual.

Anyone have any insights on this?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I personally don't but I'm sure someone will chime in with me. I know the odo is stored in the pcm and is relayed to the cluster. But that still doesn't explain the difference. I'm not sure. I'm not a trans expert and I haven't seen a manual conversion yet.