97 Ram gas guage issue, drops below 'E' with other inst. cluster changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drdetroit455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '97 Ram 1500 4X4 has intermittent fuel gauge issue. The fuel pump/sender was replaced 1.5 years ago, so I think it is something else. Plus the chime and seat belt light operation has changed at what seemed like the same time. I pulled the cluster for a quick inspection, and all looked good. I do not have wiring diagrams for this. Is there a shared splice or ground that you would lead to looking at. Can someone post the diagram for the circuit(s)? Has anyone experienced multiple instrument cluster issues like this? Thanks

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
There could be a couple things going on. The wiring diagrams in the service manual aren't very simple when it come to these specific parts. After spending 15 mins looking over it and I cant find a more detailed description than the cluster grounds at one point with a bunch of other stuff. There is no specific point where power is applied, which means each system is powered by its specific set of components. The seatbelt light isn't visibly connected to the gas gauge, at least not in the schematic. Hopefully someone else who has had this problem can chime in, all I can say is check your connectors and make sure they aren't loose.