98 Newly Intalled Tranny.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N8Vbighorn'98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Hey guys,
The had a new transmission installed about two years ago. It was given to my spouse and I as a gift. And recently had a new engine installed. New front end I did myself. Only thing left up front is a gear box. That being said... the ruck rums fine and now after I changed my speedo on the 9.25 axle the only thing I can't seem to figure out is the truck revs up too high once I try to pass another vehicle on the highway. It will shift hard with a BANG!! and then it's fine up until the next vehicle I try to pass. And after awhile on the highway it sometimes revs high then low and back high again.
Anyone have any thoughts??

OP
OP
N

N8Vbighorn'98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have ordered AMSOIL multi vehicle ATF w a WIX filter. I am going to use the AMSOIL engine and transmission flush and drop the pan and change the fluid as well as the band adjustments according to specs. I am uncertain on how to drain out all the old fluid entirely?? Can this be done by disconnecting the cooler line? And if so where is it located? 1998 dodge ram 1500 sport 360ci v8 4x4 extended cab.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Dropping the pan and the time it takes you to do the band adjustments and filter change are more than ample drain. You don't want to strain ALL of the fluid as you need some residual in the lines and valves to ensure it operates on startup with the new fluid in the pan