98 Ram 1500 5.9l won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lusk_2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Wanna start by saying I love the site and I'll get pics as soon as possible. My better half was driving my truck, put gas in it (surprise!), and it wouldn't start back up. After about a half hour it started back up and ran fine. Got it home and it died when we pulled into the driveway. I took a look at it and noticed that when I turn on the A/C the engine bogs down and if I hit the gas and let off of it when the compressor's running it will die. I can turn the A/C off and it will start right up and run fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome to the forum!! Glad you like the place. Are you hearing any groaning or squealing coming from the compressor while it is engaged?? Kinda sounds like there may be too much drag on the engine causing it to stall. Not 100% sure but that's what it sounds like. Gonna have to play 20 questions on this one. lol

OP
OP
L

lusk_2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I pulled the belt off and the compressor is a lot harder to turn than it should be. It's not locked up but I've got to use some force to turn it, don't think it's supposed to be that tight. I'm gonna pick up a manual and a new compressor tomorrow. :superhack: Shouldn't be to hard of a fix.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
You will need to evacuate the AC system before taking the compressor off. Those lines are under pressure so be careful.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sounds like the compressor is on it's way out. You are gonna want to replace it at a shop or you can do it yourself but you need to have somewhere to vacuum the system.

OP
OP
L

lusk_2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Father-in-law had a vacuum and gauges...changed the compressor and distributor cap 'n rotor, truck's runnin great now.

OP
OP
L

lusk_2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks for the help guys......and a shout-out to dodge engineers for putting the compressor right where I needed it. :cool: