99 Ram 2500 Constant ABS light and brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willyjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought this truck third-hand not too long ago. Since I've had it, the cluster has been lit up with an ABS and Brake warning light. I was assured by the previous owner that the brakes were in good shape, which they are. I can tell new lines and new master cylinder were installed, however, the ABS does not work and I'm playing around with what could be the issue. I'm suspecting it's the ABS reluctor ring in the rear axle, if it uses one (similar to GM RWD vehicles). I don't really want to go around the truck replacing $150 wheel speed sensors if I don't have to, since of course I don't have a Chrysler tech tool to tell which one it is. Anything I should check before I start replacing wheel bearings/sensors?

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
One of my friends has this problem with his 99 2500 Cummins. One night he was changin his tires and found out that the left rear seal was blown under his center cap. He hasnt fixed it yet, but we think the oil and grease is leakin onto the brakes, maybe ruining the sensor..? Idk if this is the same problem youre havin, but just thought id let ya know.

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
If you don't want to waste money guessing, you need to have it diagnosed. Have you tried getting the codes pulled from the ABS module?

OP
OP
W

willyjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turns out my CEL is showing speed sensor failure. I'm thinking it's the sensor in the rear axle which would explain the brake and ABS lights. I'm told it could also be corroded/loose wiring.

jholaway1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turns out my CEL is showing speed sensor failure. I'm thinking it's the sensor in the rear axle which would explain the brake and ABS lights. I'm told it could also be corroded/loose wiring.

I have the Brake Warning light problem too (no ABS warning light) and I have changed the ABS sensor on top of the rear axle $15 bucks on ebay and that didn't fix my problem.
I even changed my brake shoes and the front pads were just recently changed in January 2014 (receipt from Midas was in glove box) before I bought the truck.

I checked my parking brake switch and that looked fine. So I went and bled the brakes at each wheel and at the master cylinder and the stupid "Brake Warning" light is still on. I even pulled the negative battery cable and turned the headlight switch on to reset everything. So right now I am at a loss of what it could be.

jholaway1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I pulled the dash out and there are 4 small bulbs missing at the bottom where all the warning lights are and behold one of those missing lights is the ABS light. The local auto parts store will have them in tomorrow morning so I will get the dash back together then with the new bulbs.

attachment.jpg

So I guess I have the same problem because my ABS bulb is missing

jholaway1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I got the bulbs installed and dash back together and the f#$%ing ABS and Brake warning light is lit up. I know this changes the dynamics in troubleshooting the problem.
Any suggestions I can try before I take it down to the brake shop and pay their hefty troubleshooting costs ?