A518 mods and maint.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Ive had a couple people message me with trans questions and a couple people asked for a write up so here it is. I'm no trans expert but I've built a handful of these and repaired/modified more than i can count. a lot of this info will be the same or similar for the A500, A518 and A618.

disclaimer- not my fault if your break stuff or hurt yourself

so.. i guess ill start with the most important. Fluid, I'm a firm believer in fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. ATF +4 fluid only! and that brings me to the next thing and probably the most important mod for any trans, a cooler. trans fluid quickly looses its lubricity above 200 F and that in turn causes friction that causes more heat. put a cooler on it, and if you run it through the factory cooler also consider a 180 F t-stat. (For many reasons). i prefer the Tru-cool from thermal products. it has progressive passages, as the fluid heats up it becomes thinner and is allowed to flow through more of the cooler. but any quality name brand cooler will work. bigger the better.

next- the valve body. i don't care if its a daily driver or you pull a 5th wheel i strongly recommend a shift kit. a basic Trans go jr. kit is about $30 and will make a huge difference. the TG tfod diesel kit is the next step up, yes its called a diesel kit and it comes with the springs and directions for v6 v8 and v10 applications. there are several kits but the 3 I've used and like are those 2 and the fairbanks transaction kit. this kit come with 3 levels and you can do anything from mild to breaking U-joints for $70. a couple important adjustments are line pressure and throttle pressure. line pressure is adjusted at the driver front corner of the VB 3/16 allen wrench. CCW is to increase line pressure. Ive gotten mixed answers as to the value per turn but i do know its not a lot. i dont even count the turns. on a stock VB the spring seat should be half way between the reainer and PR valve bore. If your installing or have installed a kit it will tell you where to adjust it. if its a TG kit give it one extra turn in. (ive found them to be a bit conservative) TV pressure itself cant be adjusted but the stop and cables are adjustable. the stop is the base pressure setting. if you want kickdown sooner on deccel (closed throttle) move the stop in a little. after adjusting tv stop the cable must be readjusted.
Band adjustments, im not going to cover that in detail here. that info varies between trannys and is easily found. What i do want to address is that it seems people dont understand what the adjustment does. i hear a lot of people thinking a band adjustment will fix shifting problems. all the band adjustment does is keeps the band to drum clearance right where it should be so the shift timing is correct and you dont get overlap or "band drag" only in severe cases of overlap will an adjustment fix a funny shift and if it does it means your band is far too worn or it was adjusted incorrectly before.
Internals-if you have a A500 your SOL. If you have a A518 or A618 there are tons of upgrades. im not going to cover the A618 because i doubt thers many oil burners hanging around here. for the 518 the best and cheapest way to bulletproof your trans is to go to the wrecking yard and buy a blown 618 core. almost all of those internals will fit in the 518 case. the shafts are bigger the planetaries have more pinions and are stronger and the direct drum holds more clutches. you can likely pick up a blown core for a couple hundred bucks. the 618 drum is wider so you can run a wider band. call up a trans supplier and order a front band for a 1969 426 hemi tf727. i dont recall the exact width but its about 1/2 wider than a standard intermediate band.
while your doing the front band a power wedge band anchor and an upgraded band strut are highly recommended. servos, pistons and accumulators-SONNAX!!! get their stuff. it is not recommended that you do any major VB or pressure modifications until you take out those leaky plastic parts that are just waiting to break.

so there is a ton of mods for our transmissions but a shift kit, 618 internals, a couple little parts and updated servos, i promise it will handle even the gnarliest 408.
another thing, the stock 618 frictions are plenty you dont need to buy altos or blues its a waste of money in these trannies.
so i just kinda threw this together and i probably missed a bunch. if you have questions comments or wanna call me names feel free.

OP
OP
rowdyram

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Couple things to add, intermediate band apply lever-you can get a longer ratio for stronger hold.
Want a neck breaking 3-4 shift? Remove the o/d accumulator spring and put a solid object in its place...a cut piece of wooden broom handle works good. There is also a stronger spring for the o/d unit. If you have the o/d unit apart drill an extra lube hole through the shaft for added o/d planet lube.
Shift kits come with a different manual valve to allow tc charge in park <--- very important.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'll call you a name:

You're a ******* for knowing your stuff so well.

:D

I'm glad you're around because you're the resident trans guy now. lol

OP
OP
rowdyram

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I'll call you a name:

You're a ******* for knowing your stuff so well.

:D

I'm glad you're around because you're the resident trans guy now. lol
I really don't know a lot but what I do know is....um... Nope lost it, don't know ****

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I really don't know a lot but what I do know is....um... Nope lost it, don't know ****

More than me.
You'll probably be my crutch when I go in and increase line pressure in my 76. :crazy:

OP
OP
rowdyram

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Just turn it up all the way, it will be fine... No really spend $30 and buy a Jr kit, dual PR springs and a manual valve. On that kit they say to have the spring seat all the way back. F that. 1/4 way in.
I've got a Jr kit in the garage I'll take a pick of the PR instructions just a minute

OP
OP
rowdyram

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
uploadfromtaptalk1428379936198.jpg

This shows a good pic of all the stuff I'm talking about. And it shows the 3-4 accumulator housing so you know where to put the broom stick. Not that its any good on your 76..

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
This trans is presumably original. Just going to turn the line pressure up to get it to hold a little tighter.

OP
OP
rowdyram

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Original? 40 years? Time for a rebuild

OP
OP
rowdyram

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Is it a B block 400?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I had a 74 swb with a built 400. Truck gave me wood a cat couldn't scratch. Wish I never sold it

Bark through all three gears? :D I hope to bark the tires through second eventually. lol

We should stop loading your thread up. :uhoh2:

OP
OP
rowdyram

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
It had a Mopar purple can edelbroc air gap and a Eddy 650 headers with 3ft strait pipes a built 727 and 35s it would smoke them through first bark in second and chirp 3rd

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It had a Mopar purple can edelbroc air gap and a Eddy 650 headers with 3ft strait pipes a built 727 and 35s it would smoke them through first bark in second and chirp 3rd

That sounds great. I want that in the 76, but it needs to stay a hauler. :D

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
What a kickass write up! How much of this can be done without pulling the trans, just by laying under it with the pan and valve body off?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like shift kits and such would be ok, but the 47re planet swap would probably have to be done off the truck.