Air conditioner question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexslo1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my buddy and I both have 99 rams.
Mine is a 1500 sport 2wd 5.9 magnum
His is a 2500 sport 5.9 Cummins 4x4
We both have AC but we both complain that it is not powerful at all.
We confirmed the diverter doors are working properly however when we select "Hi" Setting we get a lot of blower noise but not much air pressure coming through the vents.
is this common? Have any of you fellow 2nd Gen drivers notice the same thing?

Thanks,
Alex

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Your blower could be dying, happened to me a while back. Replaced the blower motor and it was good to go.

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Also more possible the AC evaporator is plugged up.

OP
OP
Alexslo1k

Alexslo1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys thanks for the replies.
let me clarify something maybe I was not very clear.
The blower motor sounds fine. It just doesn't feel like it moves much air through the system.
Honestly when I set it on hi it is a little annoying how loud the blower motor is but even with all the ruckus it makes not much air comes out.
This is on both of our trucks. We live in Miami and it is hot as balls here year round AC is a necessity.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Yes, I was just thinking about it and are you sure that your recirc. door is moving when you change it from fresh to recirc.? That is the most common door to go out.

OP
OP
Alexslo1k

Alexslo1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess i'll rip into it and check the evap core.
yes the recirculate door works. you can tell when it flips I get more pressure when it is on recirculate and the air flow sounds totally different.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
Could you buy an ac recharge kit? They run about 70$ and recharge your system with the coolant it needs.

OP
OP
Alexslo1k

Alexslo1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could you buy an ac recharge kit? They run about 70$ and recharge your system with the coolant it needs.

Our issue is not a temperature problem. We both have freezing cold AC we just don't have any pressure coming through the vents.
You can hear the AC blowers making plenty of noise from how fast they spin on high but we are not getting any air out of the ac vents.
I have blocked off the passenger side vents and it has helped a little but my wife did not like this the other day when it was 100 degrees outside.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Is it blowing the same across all the face vents, or does it lose pressure from one side to the other?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Mine done this for years it was noisy on 4 but didn't put out any more air than if you had the fan on 3. But after I changed my heater core four years ago it quit and blows more air out as u change fan speed and is not noisy anymore. Don't know why this would have anything to do with it. But started working right after the heater core change. If you figure out your problem post it please.

OP
OP
Alexslo1k

Alexslo1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update!!! I pulled the heater motor out cleaned and lubed it, now I have amazing ac.
It was full of leaves and the motor was not spinning as freely as it should, it is a night and day difference. Being that lubing it helped a lot I'll have a spare on me as I except it to die eventually.
I want to thank you all for the input.
Alex

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock