brakes again!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbednarsky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have replaced everything in the front and now the back. Once in awhile when I am stopping I get this really load annoying howling sound out of the rear brakes. It is like nothing I have ever heard from brakes before. The truck still stops good but has that sound. Also feels like I have warped rotors in the front, but that is what it felt like a few weeks back and then I went and got another new set of rotors and pads, and still feels like they are warped... I cant seem to win with the bakes on this thing.

BTW it is a 1996 1500 4x4 5.9

Need some real help here!!!! Thanks in advance

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I make it a habit of getting new rotors and drums cut before I install them, I have found that many are not round. Are you using a good brake grease on the sliding caliper pins? I only use a ceramic grease for this job other brake greases melt off fast.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you also replace the drums on the rear or just the shoes and all hardware?

I've been at this a while and I've never had an issue where 2 rotors have a defect out of the box, let alone 2 sets of rotors. Nowadays all rotors come prefinished, no cut needed. A thing I see quite often with the older 4x4 dodges and jeeps is loose steering parts or slack in the sector causing a wobble when braking that is misinterpreted as warped rotors.

As for the rears, if you didnt replace the drums, they could be hotspotted, which can cause a howl. If you had them cut, and the guy didnt set the lathe properly and they chattered while on the lathe, they will howl. If you did replace them with new, and didnt wash off the cosmoline, or didnt set the shoes in good they can howl.