Clear liquid dripping around tank... not gas.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LEGION19D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Purchased my first Dodge ever a few months ago. Old 96 Club cab 4x4, 178*** on the odometer. Everything from the a/c to the cruise control and windshield wipers works great. Four wheel drive is superb. No leaks, doesn't burn anything. Tonight, after towing a trailer for the last week, I noticed a very slow drip. It is concentrating around the gas tank, but is not gas. It is a viscous liquid, I'm guessing brake fluid? But with all the shields and frame, I can't see the origin. Any ideas on what to look for? Possibly a brake line? I build commercial buildings, trucks have never been my thing. In fact, I've mysteriously been without one for several years. But needed a tow truck for my trailer. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^what he said^^. If you're afraid of tasting it, at least dip your finger tip in it. You should by now know what water feels like but brake fluid will be alil "oily" if you will. It may have a brownish tint to it as well. It is common for brake lines to rust and leak against the frame rail behind the tanks and or shields as its a great place to collect dirt, leaves and other various road grim

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I wouldn't drive it until you find out whether it's brake fluid or not (likely it is). Be a **** thing to find out at 65mph

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
^^what he said^^. If you're afraid of tasting it, at least dip your finger tip in it. You should by now know what water feels like but brake fluid will be alil "oily" if you will. It may have a brownish tint to it as well. It is common for brake lines to rust and leak against the frame rail behind the tanks and or shields as its a great place to collect dirt, leaves and other various road grim

Oily but dry. Like snap your fingers. Not like engine oil oily.

OP
OP
LEGION19D

LEGION19D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Yeah. That's the stuff. My fluid level hasn't dropped, at least not noticeably. There isn't even a puddle really. Just a few drops, and condensation below the gas tank. Guess it's the brake line in the frame rail?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk