Converting my non-A/C truck to A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AF Twin Turbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9L Mag
Hey all. Well, my beater just got refinanced with extra equity from my other vehicle that was negative. So now it's a longer term vehicle for me, not just a beater but has now become a resto-mod project.

1995 Ram 2500 RWD non a/c. Oh yeah, I live in Arizona, so A/C is highly desirable.

I can rip apart a motor or tranny no problem, so I've decided to test my mechanical prowess with converting my non/A/C truck to something that blows cold stuff.

So aside form the parts listed here would I need that are specific to my vehicle that I may not be aware of:

Compressor + Bracket
Accumulator
A/C Lines
Evaporator
Blower Motor
A/C selector on the dash

I assume I might need a variety of switches or sensors perhaps?

And of these items, what should I really buy brand new? Again the truck is a beater, so I am not so concerned about less than OEM quality.

The Accumulator is cheap enough to buy new, as are the lines, and I'd rather not use lines that I yanked out of a donor.

Of the parts that are okay to be get second hand, should i flush them out with anything?

ramchrisfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I want to sell my a/c system....the whole thing....let me know if you want any or all parts.....it works, just don't use it at all. I have 96 1500 with a 5.9

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
this would be your best bet imo Im not sure about the wiring harness under dash.. may all be there and be just the plugs not plugged in... the condenser in front of the radiator you will need.. the entire heater box may be different Im not sure on that one either (but if you have a donor truck bingo) also since you will have to tear the dash out anyway to put the evap core in I would personally go ahead and do a heater core since that's a job you only want to do once.. the under hood wiring harness should also be different due to the low and high pressure switches needed for a/c.. then there is the computer.. It should be different no guarantee ( my opinion for the computer being different is when the compressor is engaged the engine will need to up its rpms slightly for the drag on the engine..) hope this helps give some insight