Cruise Control - 95 RAM 2500 (v10 gas)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Sorry for being a pain, but I'm trying to make sure my (new to me) truck gets the attention it needs.

Next up is cruise control being fixed. Needless to say, it's not working (am I an expert diagnostic person or what!?).

Symptoms:

Right now when I turn on the cruise control, I don't even get a light anywhere - not even sure where I should be looking. Is the 'on' button on the steering wheel suppose to light up or is there suppose to be a dash light to indicate that cruise is on?

All my lights work (headlights, fog lights, blinkers, turn signals, and most importantly for the cruise I'm guessing..brake lights)

The buttons on the dash DO click when I push the cruise 'on' button and the 'off' button. So mechanically, I think they are alright. I saw a DIY tip somewhere on how to get that piece out of the steering wheel, but I don't think I'm looking at a cleaning at this point.

From reading and the manual (more reading than the Haynes manual, unfortunately) I think the major components are: fuse, servo (cable and vacuum), and brake pedal switch to turn off the cruise when brake is applied.

I haven't found a listing to tell me where to look for the fuse that controls cruise control on my truck yet (when I bought it the cover on the inside fuse box was not there, so no idea what those fuses are for). I haven't found a fuse layout diagram in the manual yet which I think is odd.

I've taken pictures of a few items that I think are needed to help diagnose the problem. Anyone have a checklist of things I should be trying? I'm including a couple images that I'm not sure what the part is (it may be the infamous vacuum line and if it is, I think I know where the problem is). If that is the problem, how might one go about fixing it?

What I believe is the connection to the throttle body from the cruise control servo:

IMAG0327.jpg

What I believe is the cruise control servo (found on driver's side under the battery) from the top of the engine compartment:

IMAG0326.jpg

What I believe is the cruise control servo (found on driver's side under the battery) from the side (inside engine compartment):

IMAG0331.jpg

Two hoses/cables wrapped together. Not sure what the small one that goes to bottom of motor is for, but the one from the throttle body (?) connection goes to the cruise control servo (?).

IMAG0328.jpg

Closer look at the two cables/hoses that are wrapped together. The one that is pictured bending up will appear in the next image. The other (thicker) one is connected to the cruise control servo.

IMAG0330.jpg

The plastic feeling hose that goes 'nowhere'. I haven't checked the other end to see if it's connected but this one wasn't. This is the end that is run down under the battery and was resting down by the cruise control servo. I didn't pull on the other end in fear of breaking it off and not ever finding where it should have been.

IMAG0329.jpg

Any help or ideas are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'll slip out and take some pics of a proper setup to see if that helps for ya. There is a light on the dash but I'm not sure how the 95 96 models setup their cruise. But it sounds like either that vac line needs connected or the cruise module needs replaced. I'll slip out to the truck and take a look for comparison but sounds like you may have found the culprit in the random hose.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok what it looks like to me is in the last pic that line needs connected to the control module under the battery. Your setup should look similar to the following pics.

There should be 2 lines comming from the module under the battery. One hard plastic line and one rubber line. As seen below.

834285775_photobucket_18570_.jpg

The hard plastic line should run to the passenger side of the throttle body and connect into the accessory tree vac lines.
834285775_photobucket_18569_.jpg

834285775_photobucket_18568_.jpg

Hope this helps to get you started tracking things down.

Last edited:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hope it helps ya find where the one tube goes. I'm thinking that it is only a diff in vac that won't allow the cruise to activate.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Ok, traced it back and it seems to go 'under' something. But it looks like there may be some sort of 'plug in' attachment that I can disconnect and replace with a new one.

I went to local parts store and they didn't have anything of the same material, but they had rubber and plastic (fish tank air hose -- don't think I'll be doing that one). They didn't have a cruise control servo listed to even order, so if that's the cause I'm scrouged (unless the local scrap yard has one). Anyone know the layout of the fuses inside or where the cruise control fuse is for the 95 RAM 2500 4wd V10? :)

Here is where that 'hose to nowhere' actually connects (?). I'm not sure if that's a quick connect for hose or what, but at least I now know where it goes to.

IMAG0336.jpg

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Now I just have to figure out where to connect that hose on the cruise control servo. My manual shows only a single connection going that direction. Blasted blank and white drawings! I guess the drawing does show a rubber boot over that connection though and I don't remember seeing one of those on mine. I'll have to crawl under there tomorrow morning and see if there is an obvious place for the hose to connect to.

Here's hoping :)

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10

I think I've found what I've been searching for all night :) It looks like the vacuum hose doesn't actually attach to what I thought was the complete unit. It appears there is another part stuck under there somewhere (called the vacuum reservoir). I'll have to locate that and make sure it's still under there tomorrow :) Woohoo. Feeling much better now!

image.asp@catid=M01&grpid=14&sgrpid=0001010

Now I have some part numbers too. Guess I got lucky finding that site!

https://www.parkdodgeparts.com/dodge-ram-2500-parts.html This site has the parts too :) Getting better and better. Looks like worst case scenario is a bit more than 100.00 for the whole fix.

Last edited: