dodge ram won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram6767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to look at a 98 Ram tonight. The seller said he drove it, shut it off, then it wouldn't start. He used 2 battery packs and was able to get it started for about 2 minutes while gassing it. Then it shut off and he wasn't able to start it again. I tried my battery pack on it but it didn't start. I'm wondering if I should take a chance on it for a very good price. What's the worse it could be? Oh yeah, the oil seemed very black but very thin also -- not thick like I'd expect it in this 25 degree weather. What could cause that?

OP
OP
R

ram6767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
400, thats why I might just take a chance.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Eh thats an alright price. My main concern would be the not starting and not being able to keep it running. If it were me id pass. I would save my money up for at least one that runs and drives. You can get those for about 1500 bucks if you look hard enough. But lets say you buy it for 400 and bring it home and find out that it needs 1200 dollars in repair. Then your at 1600 bucks and for that you could have bought a better one like I said. But ultimately its your call. Do what you think is best :waytogo:

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before I scrapped my '99, it sat for a few weeks in brutally warm July heat. The battery died completely and when I jumped it, it would die almost immediately after removing the booster pack and/or letting off the gas. But, when I left the booster pack on it for a good 5 minutes and held the throttle at about 1000~1200 rpm for about 2 minutes, it ran just fine. There just wasn't enough juice in the battery for the system to feed off of and the alternator was starting to fail (one of many, many reasons I junked the old girl).

Not saying the issue I had is the same as the one you're looking at, but it could be a combination of dead battery and failing alternator.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
If you pick it up for 400 and have to put 1200 into it it will likely be in better shape when your done than one you'd get for 1600. And it sounds like it maybe something as simple as a starting/charging issue. I think I'd be all over it if its in fair shape. Can't pass up a cheap Mopar!