Electrical Gremlins GO AWAY!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well I got some gremlins that decided to move into my truck on the way home from work. So here is the story...

Coming home when I went to make a left turn I found that while my blinker was on my wipers would turn on. thought huh thats interesting. Tried the right one. Everything is fine. ok then. Turn on the lights a little further down the road cause it's getting dark wipers come on. huh interesting. turn the fogs off and it stops ok. drove home with light no problem. Left turns interesting with my wipers on and it's not raining. Stop by the parts store pick up a multiway switch for the wipers and a new headlight switch. No big deal.

Checked all the fuses. All seem good Replaced the multi switch still same issue. ok hmmmmm Replace the headlight switch. Lost all my dash lights and running lights. Interesting. Put the original back in. Same thing. OOOOOOOKKKKKKKKK

Start looking into maybe it's a bulb. check the bulb nope fine. Replaced it anyway. Same thing. ok Started pulling fuses. All checked good and not a one changed the end result. ok then. So then I noticed that when I turn the flashers on with out the ignition on everything works normal. Turn the ignition on. The radio lights flash on and off with the flashers and the wipers turn on. ok Turn the ignition off back to normal. If I watch the fillaments in the bulb on the left side with the parks on. It seems to alternate between the flasher and the park. Ok now I'm baffled. Replaced the 2 common switches that may cause that behavior and same result. Only thing I could think of was a ground came loose somewhere. Well I checked the obvious one on the battery. Its on good. The powersteering pump ground to the block is also in good shape. I already replaced that ground earlier this year. So Now I'm stuck. I have no dash lights unless you pull the headlight switch to a certain spot then you don't get headlights. You turn on the headlights you don't have dash lights or running lights. Mr po po told me that on my way home from the shop. So any other thoughts as to something I may have missed. Oh and there was no rain today. Truck was dry all day. Randomly started on the way home. Worked great all morning. Drove to work lights on. No problems. Started on my way home. I think the gremlins are trying to make me go crazy. Let me tell ya they are doing a fine job at that. Now they can go home!!!!!! :crazy::baby::Wedgie:

Last edited:

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Maybe a short in the steering wheel area?

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try replacing the ignition switch. Mine was causing gremlins with my a/c. Hopefully that'll cure yours as well

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!!

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well that is my next guess. She goes into the dealer tomorrow. I don't mess with anything that deals with my ignition. That is one area that I won't touch. So gonna drop some coin to get this thing fixed. I really hate electrical gremlins.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yea I had bought a remote start a few years back and never put it on because I couldn't bring myself to hack up my ignition to install it. Ignitions trans and internal engin parts I will not touch. I might do the engine internals down the road when I have a garage and a hoist and all the tools. Till then I'll pay someone else.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I know right.

Sent from my apple torching Droid.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Good god ,,, why cant it be the furd ... not the truck

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I know. I'm not wantint to say it but dammit. My car hardly ever breaks. But I guess that's cause I don't drive the dam thing. Truck is at the dealer. Hopefully they can find it. Hope its a ground and not the ignition switch.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
wow...very interesting...hopefully it doesn't cost too much

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Either going to be a multifunction switch or there is a short/open in the the wiring where the column tilts. But I'm going put money on the multifuntion switch being wore out...

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hate to tell ya but Replaced that. That was my first thought. I replaced the multifunction and the headlight switch with the same results. The only other thing I can think of is the ignition switch. Because ignition off hazards work normal. Ignition on hazards and wipers come on. Don't know. Hopefully I will hear today what it is and with won't be like a billion dollars and will be a quick fix. I need the truck for this weekend. lol We got ducks and deer to go and get.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well so far the dealer hasn't found the source of the issue but did find other things. Not only is it turning on the wipers it is also blowing the horn. This is crazy. Hope the can figure it out.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That sounds Ike a short in the wiring in the steering column. That's about the only thing that makes sense to me anyways

greatwhite57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds to me like the ignition switch is goin bad. My friends car was acting the Sam way and would shut off when you tilted the steering wheel. Swapped out ignition switch and everything is fine now.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Ok... I got some more to try... The ground system for the wiper motor and the turn signals are on the same ground lead as the wiper motor so if the ground was weak or gone then the turn signals could back feed the wiper motor for a ground path.

9tei5z.jpg

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok so I wonder if the horn is on a similar ground. The tech at the dealer said that the horn was activating. Very faint but none the less it was on. So if they can find that ground that may be the solution.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well good news came today. They found where the short is coming from just need to find the wire. Woohoo!!