Heating issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98RamNewbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
My 98 Ram 5.9 blows luke warm heat. When on low, it is warmer, but as turn fan up it gets cooler. Has been this way since I bought a year ago (but during warm months feels a lot warmer) Recently had flush on heater core and entire system. Also replaced thermostat and reset the temp dial and can hear the blend door "hit" the stops as well as replaced radiator cap. Thought of replacing temp control, but since mechanical do not believe anything in switch for contact, correct?

Both heater hoses and top radiator hose are very hot to touch and lower radiator hose is cool...so in reading various posts to me it doesn't sound like heater core since both are equally hot. Local parts store suggested to use a stronger prestone cleaner than the prestone flush used when it was flushed. Guess I can try it, but since there is no antifreeze smell, no build-up on windshield and floor is dry on passenger side, coupled with hot hoses I wonder if it really is heater core or not. Did notice when replaced thermostat there was some "gunk" floating...before flush. Should I try the cleaner (requires dropping antifreeze and running cleaner with water, cycle again after 50 miles with draining radiator and filling with water, run 10 minutes then drain and fill.) Is there something else I should look at before doing this?

Thanks for any input.

heavymetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2, Cam, Headers
hey man. i have a 99 2500 with the 360. right now i have my dash out looking into the what may be the same problem. My temp gauge dosnt go up more then a 1/4 way, blows luke warm and theres a noise inside the heater box, i believe its the blend door.

taking the dash out took longer then expected, tomrrow im going to fix the clunking noise and hopefully figure out why the gauge isnt working and why i have no heat.

monday i'll post pics and let you know how i made out and hopefully it helps you out

welcome.