Help! Won't start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Driftless Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
I've got a 2001 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 5.9 Magnum V8 Automatic, fuel injected..

It won't start. There's a laundry list of things I've replaced, and I'm stumped. I live in Wi, so it's very cold.

What I've done: Replaced Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor. Replaced CPS, tested Cam position sensor (good). Replaced IAC. Cleaned TB, Tested Alternator and battery (good)

What I haven't done: Anything fuel related.

What it does: Cranks normally then sputters out. Makes a loud PFFFFFFFFT noise that comes out of the top of the Throttle Body with a puff of vapor/smoke. Ive even seen flames. Although that is uncommon. All that back-gassing now has soiled up the new IAC and TB.

I can't keep replacing things, and spending money not knowing what it is. I've been 2nd guessing my work, and dbl checking everything I've installed. Not fun. There are no codes that come up either.

At a loss currently and I live rurally far away from any repair shop. So that's an expensive trip. The whole fuel tank "pill" that has the pressure gauge/float level, pump kinda scares me. I don't want to go down that road. And the fuel pump works, it's loud but operates, and fuel spurts out of the presta valve on the fuel rail with key off, and more-so with the key on..

Would appreciate any ideas or help, and links. Although I feel like I've seen most of them ad nausea. Sorry if my format's not right, I am a noob here. Thanks!

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
sounds like a timing issue.. what about your crank sensor?

OP
OP
D

Driftless Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced that, but not 100% sure of it. I suppose I could wrestle it out, look at it/clean it and try it again. When I replaced it the first time, it started up fine, and ran. But, then it would stall a bit around corners under throttle, and I decided to not chance it, and drove it home. Where it's been sitting ever since.

I remember reading a post where someone said it's supposed to have a paper spacer on it, and if you remove it, to not re-install it. Which made me not want to touch it. Not sure if any of that's true, because I don't remember a paper spacer on it when I got it in the first place. Did they give me a bunk sensor?

Confused on that..

OP
OP
D

Driftless Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright... Towed it to a repair shop. I was out of ideas. Turns out it WAS the crank position sensor. Which I replaced 1st off. It ran for 10 minutes when I first replaced it, and pooped out on me. I didn't 2nd guess it could be a defective new part, but I should have.
O'Reilly's sold it to me, and they have a business rlsp with the repair shop. Came out to him with a new crank sensor and switched it out for free. Started right up. Doesn't help the fact I spend close to 1000 total with towing, buying other parts, and the shop repair bill. I feel like a fool for not questioning their part. It was a BWD or Borg Warner part.. Never going to O'Reilly's again! Or be so quick to trust Borg Warner in the future.
Should have been fixed in the first day I replaced it. Instead it took 6 weeks of sitting in the cold, scratching my head and swearing. And I ruined a few of my really good shirts to battery acid, when I thought it might be the battery. Can you tell I'm upset?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When it comes to crank and cam sensors the best way to go is oem and If you can, from a dealership. You see a lot of people buying bunk sensors when they get them from part stores. It's been the root of many an issue with a lot of people's trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk