High Pitched Whining Noise/Hum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pete99ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need some help!
I've only owned my 99 Ram 1500 5.2L for about a year (104,000miles) and about a week ago I noticed a high whine from the left side under the hood. It sustains whether idling or in drive. I don't know for the life of me what is causing it, nor can tell where exactly it's coming from. I first thought it was because of the cold, but when it didn't stop after being warmed up, I thought it could be something else. When idle, it almost sings. When in Drive it continues mainly when I accelerate but also at other points too.
I'd like to take care of this soon, before it's too late, but would like to have an idea what it is before bringing it in and know what I can anticipate.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Could be a pulley going bad on the truck. Take a wrench and undo the serp belt, if the guide over the rad is missing sketch the routing real quick and take it off. Turn all the pulleys by hand and see if any are catching or squeeling. Hope that helps and welcome here bud.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^What he said. My truck had a bad alternator pulley when I first bought it, the guy tried to tell me it was a "hemi whine" LOLZ!!

OP
OP
P

pete99ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the help! Fell down the stairs at home and broke my foot and knee.. Won't be checking anything let alone driving for a while. I'll update with what I find after mending.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Damn that sucks, heal up dude. Usually you'll hear a high-pitch squeel when the belt or pully goes bad... not sure about a hum though. But yeah, pulleys and belt would be the first thing to check anyways.

Stealth Mode

Banned
Reaction score
Usually the humming is the altenator pulley. Quick and easy check, Take your breaker bar, set the flat end on the ALT, (with vehicle running) set the other end on your ear and listen. You will know for sure... The screaming in your ear will tell you.

The singing is the idler pulley. When the bearing's go bad in those they scream like a russian ******. Another item you can test with your breaker bar and ear. Lol

Cojo87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I changed my timing chain

I changed my timing chain. And now when I turn the key it make a whining noise. Who can help me out.

glipman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Usually the humming is the altenator pulley. Quick and easy check, Take your breaker bar, set the flat end on the ALT, (with vehicle running) set the other end on your ear and listen. You will know for sure... The screaming in your ear will tell you.

The singing is the idler pulley. When the bearing's go bad in those they scream like a russian ******. Another item you can test with your breaker bar and ear. Lol
Funny/Embarrassing thing I recently purchased a dodge and was doing this, forgot that it's a hydraulic operated fan ( or at least operates off pressure of the water pump heat distribution ) and whacked the fan with the crowbar! Scared the living **** out of me, always remember to check how far the fan comes out of the shroud!! [emoji12]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey guys sorry to bounce off this post but i hear a light whine when i accelerate for my 2011 5.7 hemi is your guys answer for the OP the same for me???