hub assembly problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darkhorse84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So we all know that a lifted truck wears crap out fast. Blah blah blah. So I was having a little wobble at 45 decided to take it in to have it checked by les schwab. They told me that my hub bearings were out on my passenger side so I thought ok just get new ones. They then told me that my entire lift was shot cause of it. They gave me a quote of 400 just to do the bearings (swap the entire hub assembly) and 4000 for the lift fix. I decided to take it to a guy that installs lifts for a living. Took it to him he showed me my lift was actually fine but my hub was shot. So I went to autozone bought a new one installed it today and drove over to Kmart and let my friend drive my truck to the same les schwab . He got a different guy. The guy checked it said everything is sound and in perfect condition. My buddy called me I came over showed the guy the quote I was given and he said he was going to go get the manager. Manager comes out tells me he is sorry that his guys messed up and that he hopes I will come back when I need new tires.

It took me an hour to change the hub assembly and inly 100 dollars to do it! Everything is to spec on it. I love working on my own truck but hate being lied to. Now the only problem I am having is leaking a little bit of differential fluid in my front. I'll have to have the seals replaced which is fine. I can do that too. I'm just curious does anyone know what the seal is in the outside between the hub and the axel is?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Is the oil dripping on the same side the hub was replaced on? Was the axle shaft removed when the hub was replaced? If yes its normal to see oil dripping for a few days, with the axle shaft removed the oil will leak from the pumpkin into the axle tube causing a drip.

Take note to replace both of those seals is about 4 hours work and the whole front diff will be taken apart shy of the pinion bearing/gear. All the axle shafts and the ring gear carrier must come out. If you do go into do this work replace inspect everything from ball-joints to axle shaft cad bushings/bearings, cad coller all of it.

I think I know what you are asking about but a photo will help.

Some Mopar part #'s for you.

1 BUSHING, Intermediate Shaft 05252686
1 BUSHING, Axle Shaft 04137740
1 SEAL, Axle Drive Shaft 04506005
1 SEAL, Axle Drive Shaft 04116366

Last edited:

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
hey merc id like to request a write up lol inner axle shaft seals and a part number for the outer dust seal/shield? only one i can find is for the jeeps and im told they wont work

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
hey merc id like to request a write up lol inner axle shaft seals and a part number for the outer dust seal/shield? only one i can find is for the jeeps and im told they wont work

Yeah I have like four write ups on the go, they will get posted soon lol. As for the dust shields I have yet to find a part number for those to fit a Ram. Like you posted Heep yep Ram nope.