Hub Bearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kewdah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So I have been searching the forums for the answer to my question with no luck.
I am going to have the honor of trying to join the changed my ram hub bearing club. From what I see there are 2 possible bearing styles available, one each for 2 or 4 wheel abs. On my '97 Cummins 2500 I seem to have 4 wheel abs as there is a pickup and tone ring mounted inside the knuckle. My quandary is that that neither seem to be part of the bearing as the tone ring is attached to the outer axle half shaft? So which bearing do I use and what is the actual difference in the two if mine doesn't seem to have abs sensor built in?

Thanks

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Welcome to RF!

You're correct, the tone ring is on the axle. However the electric sensor for the ABS is wired into the hub bearing assembly. Hmmm....maybe on a 2500 there's a different way of mounting the pickup. 1500's have the sensor in the bearing. Are you sure you're looking at the correct bearing for your year? Sometimes listings can be a bit confusing, or the bearing on a 2500 with ABS has to clear the tone ring.

If I wasn't getting ready for work I'd research this a bit more in my parts listing. Perhaps Loki or one of the other 2500 owners will see this and chime in before that. They usually hang out in the cummins section so if you don't get an answer here, have one of the mods move this thread so you can get some assistance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kewdah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks for the info...on this one I see the tone ring and the pickup looks to be mounted to the knuckle similar to the way a crank trigger is mounted...but no wires or anything going to the actual bearing to indicate that there is a sensor in there...love my Cummins but boy this one is confusing

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'll see if I can help a little. Being a 1500 I can say what we have. First thing for us is to be sure you have 4wabs. most only have 2wabs. But for the 4wabs there is a wire that comes out of the engine bay and down next to the brake line that has wire loom on it. That then comes down to the axle and then through the dust shield and into the hub assembly. For the 1500 it is a sealed bearing that I know. Only way to replace the bearing is to replace the hub assembly. I'd imagine that the 2500 wouldn't be much different. On my truck the tone rings and sensors are in the hub. After you unbolt the sensor if it is there and remove the hub nut and then the 3 12pt bolts the hub should come out. I have a thread about taking out the 1500 hubs and some tips. But when the hub comes out there is no toner on the axle part itself. it is all in the hub assembly.