Leaking gear box, sloppy steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mok4200

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, i don't know much about the steering linkage, but my ram (5.9) has realllyyy sloppy steering, i tightened the steering gear box bolt but it didn't do much, but i noticed it is leaking quite a bit, if i take out the gear box and reseal the whole thing, will that help my sloppy steering?

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Many other things can cause sloppy steering, not just the box. Lots of info about steering issues here. To answer your question, I do not think that the leak is causing your steering issues, but I could be wrong. How are the rest of the steering parts? Ball joints, tie rod ends... Since you have already tried tightening the sector shaft, Probly needs rebuilt. Redhead and borgeson are popular replacements.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, if your truck is 4wd, loose or broken track bars tend to cause a lot of play. Inspect all front end parts like mda said, this is easiest to do with the front of the truck in the air with one person inspecting and another in the truck steering. While the truck is steering, check for excessive play/movement in any of the joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mok4200

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Many other things can cause sloppy steering, not just the box. Lots of info about steering issues here. To answer your question, I do not think that the leak is causing your steering issues, but I could be wrong. How are the rest of the steering parts? Ball joints, tie rod ends... Since you have already tried tightening the sector shaft, Probly needs rebuilt. Redhead and borgeson are popular replacements.

I just did ball joints about a month ago, linkage is fine (confirmed with mechanic) though the tie rods will likely need to be done in about 3-4 months, are not bad by any means but i can feel a little give. Do you know what a rebuild costs on average? i know a new box runs about $200-300

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
The rebuilt box I bought first was 170 at oriellys w core. That box wasnt a bit different than the one I had, i think they just reseal them, not sure. I have a borgreson, very pricey but a nice unit. If I were to do it all over though I would try a redhead box. Thats what i was going to get but the kid on the phone didnt know squat about the rebuild process and was kinda rude, so i got the borgeson.

OP
OP
M

mok4200

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rebuilt box I bought first was 170 at oriellys w core. That box wasnt a bit different than the one I had, i think they just reseal them, not sure. I have a borgreson, very pricey but a nice unit. If I were to do it all over though I would try a redhead box. Thats what i was going to get but the kid on the phone didnt know squat about the rebuild process and was kinda rude, so i got the borgeson.

I did a little searching and rockauto has a new gear box for $125 after the $70 core so i'll probably just order from there and hopefully it fixes it, thanks for the help!