Little to no heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agent M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone, I am an on/off user of this forum, as I have a 96 Ram beater truck, little fixer upper and spare truck I use to keep the miles off my other truck. Mine has just a sliver shy of 200K with a 360. Runs good, most days.

I have owned it for just about 2 years now and I've done many little minor repairs, fixer upper stuff. One nagging problem I"ve had since I bought it was the heater spits out very little to no heat. I have replaced the coolant with 3 flushes, several thermostats, a dash h/vac control switch out of a parted out truck, and a couple weeks ago I had a painful 6 hours of replacing the core. The first time I fired it up and let it warm up I stuck a thermometer in the vents and it was around 110 degrees air, quite warm actually, then by time I drove home the air was down to about 85 degrees ( much cooler ). The heat is fine on a 45 degree day, but in South Dakota we get well below Zero and somedays I think it's warmer outside than in my truck. I don't see a visible leak from the core anyplace, but I get a very faint wiff of anti-freeze in the cab now and then.

I saw a video on youtube where people have said that an air pocket or bubble in the core is a major culprit to heaters no working, I am pretty sure I have burped all the air out of the system, more than once. Also, the inlet and outlet into the fire wall, both hoses are extremely hot to the touch, so I know there's water flowing. Lastly, I didn't really check real closely but the cable from the h/vac controls did appear to be operating a door flapper dudad beside the core, so I am certain that is working. I have great A/C in the summertime, and I can change it from "warm" to cold, so the blend door is working I'm pretty sure.

What else could it possibly be or what am I missing???? I'm a career diesel mechanic and usually a core replacement, cab air filter replacement, flushing and thermostat change usually fixes this problem. And this isn't my first weekend working on the heater, tried several times last winter as well.

Thanks for any advice.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
check fan clutch when cold (truck not ran in atleast a few hours) see if it spins freely or just barley, check heater hoses are both hot, see if blend door is working right.. i changed rad, tstat, and water pump several flushes and finally changed the heater core this weekend have good heat now and will have great heat after a efan swap or new clutch fan.. mine is bad lol (and didnt read your entire post so sorry if its a mute point just ignore this was the 3rd time ive answered this this morning lol)

Derek_marburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 and 99
Engine
Both 360
I heard there's a door that gets stuck. Doesn't let heat in. I have this issue also and have yet to resolve it

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a vacuum actuated valve in one of the heater core lines?

If the fan is blowing and the blend door is in the right position, and the lines to and from the core are hot, I'm at a loss.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check the fan clutch for a sticking/dragging clutch.