lockers or dana 60s or both please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So basically I'm still new to offroading and yesterday I finally got stuck for the first time. Now I've been saving for dana 60s because I've heard they are the best for basic off roading. But now I realize I need lockers as well. Over the last few hours I've been reading a lot about lockers and I think overwhelmed myself with too much info. So if you had 3k to spend, what would you do? Lockers in stock axles? If so what kind? can the stock axles handle lots of mud, sand, and mild rock crawling? Or just get Dana 60s ? Ideally both but I doubt I can find that in Hawaii for my budget. My truck has a Stock 318 cid motor, 7" lift, 35" tires, and I already have a winch just need to fab a front bumper. What to do? What to do?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
If you plan to run tires bigger than 33s or off road often I highly recommend 3/4 swap. I have rebuilt more 9.25s than I can count. Most running bigger tires. Just built one last week snapped the cross shaft old man owned and never off road but running 35s.
My suggestion is take your 3k and buy a 2500 gas it will have 60s F&R and a powerlok rear if your lucky and likely 4.10s Look for one with a blown trans or wrecked get it cheap swap it and leave the front open. That is what I run do a lot of offroading and I have yet to get stuck. If your patient that is the best way to go. The wrecking yard is going to want more for a set of 60s than you'll pay for a 2500 on Craigslist.
If you get a 60 powerlok and put ford 9.75 clutches in it you can set it up tight and it will spin both my 36s no problem every time. That's the cheapest route. Other good lockers I've used are true track, auburn and Eaton e locker. Installed a grizzly a while back... Its crap, noisey and not real grabby.
Some of those are lockers some are posi. What are you leaning towards? A true locker or more of a LSD?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ +1 Rowdyram

Best bet is to find a set of 60's and build them, then install them. I do miss the Detroit lockers though, open front sucks.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
just gotta be careful in sand youll sink up quick with fast spinning.. uncle melted his motor mounts in his f150 that he just replaced like 3 weeks before hand.. :)

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
No air locker or E locker for the 9.25 so thats out. As posted Trutracs are a great lsd, if you want to go all out then Detroit lockers are my choice, simple, easy no air compressor/tank or elec needed to make it work, not for the average person though as they do have some on road issues.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
what do you mean "issues" merc with the DT locker? I have the factory lsd now and will upgrade if I don't go to 60s..

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
what do you mean "issues" merc with the DT locker? I have the factory lsd now and will upgrade if I don't go to 60s..

Detroit Locker and Detroit TrueTrac are not the same at all, for those that don't know.

A DL in the rear will like to push you in straight line, cornering is not the same, the DL will make a ratchet sound when cornering.

A DL in the front will keep the front drive-shaft turning at all times when the truck is moving, even with the Cad in 2wd. On ice this can be a factor in handling one must watch for it or be in the ditch. When in 4wd there is no ok just a little pavement will be fine, that will not fly with a DL in the front unless you are going in a straight line.

I miss my DL's very much but going to the 60's was/is still very much worth it, all I need to do now is get DL's for them.

In hindsight I should not have built the 44 & 9.25 and just installed 60's and built them.

OP
OP
hades300zdrivesaram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been looking for a 2500 to steal the 60s from and can't find one here on oahu for parts, I'm actually contemplating selling / trading my lifted 1500 for a 2500 4x4 there are a few of them on sale in decent running condition. I wish I had more patience