Motor keeps dying, in Park and drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
So I purchased a 2000 dodge ram 1500 with the 360 in it bought it from a kid who told me it needed a torque converter because when your driving it will just shut off so I talked to some people and they say it stays locked in. So the other day I was letting it run and the battery gage dropped to zero and the truck shut off so I turned the key again and it fired back up. It did the same thing so when I'm driving it after about 2 minutes it will shut off and same with when it's in Park. I have been asking around and was told it could just be a short, just wondering if anyone has any advice before I start digging into it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
It's more than likely an electrical problem. First check should be battery terminals. If for example your negative terminal is loose our wiggly it can kill the truck momentarily bit work when you fire it back up.

Take a post cleaner and make sure they're clean and if your terminals are loose tighten them down and test drive it. If your cables don't really tighten you should just go ahead and replace em. Only a few bucks and makes it more reliable while also eliminating it as an issue

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
ASD RELAY!! Check battery cables and charging system, if OK replace your ASD and see if that fixes it.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Theres other things here to check like camshaft or crankshaft sensor i believe the symptoms are similar. If the torque converter clutch wasnt disengaging id say it would only stall out in drive when you go to stop, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbsgpp2YJQ if your an information junkie like me watch this video series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTfipsejqS0 this ones torque converter specific. For me it helps to understand how the parts work and fully understand them before i go trying to diagnose or work on anything. Like EFI, im used to carbureted but still learning.