Need help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jram150082

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 98 1500 wont turn over... All lights work, radio and all but it will not even try to turn over. I just replaced the starter and still nothing. Checked relay and it clicks when you try to start it. Trans temp light on even though it isnt running... Not sure what problem is

OP
OP
J

Jram150082

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes... New battery, plugs, plug wires, distributor, starter, grounds ok and no corrosion on any cables... The transmission quit working and it has been sitting for a while but i cant get it to even try to turn over

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Just because a relay clicks doesn't mean its good. A relay can click perfectly every time yet fail to energize the load. If you have a spare, swapping it out with a good one is an easy way to test it.

Otherwise, if the relay is indeed working, you are going to need to check to see if power is reaching the starter solenoid. With a multimeter probe from battery positive to the starter solenoid battery terminal. Then have someone try to crank the engine, if the reading is above .2V check all connections for tightness and corrosion. If you are reading something really high like 12+V then you may have a bad starter relay or broken wire between the relay and solenoid.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm going to assume it was running before you replaced the starter.
I know this will sound weird but I knew someone that had a vehicle not turn over and it was because the alternator had frozen up.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm going to assume it was running before you replaced the starter.
I know this will sound weird but I knew someone that had a vehicle not turn over and it was because the alternator had frozen up.

Odd, but I could see that. If it failed badly enough to straight up seize, it may have been able (depending on the make and starter type) to put enough resistance on the starter that it couldn't turn.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Did the new starter come with a new solenoid?

We've got a John Deere Buck 650 that wouldn't turn over. Replaced the battery, did nothing. You could hear the starter solenoid "click" when you tried starting the engine, but the engine would still not turn over. We replaced the solenoid and the engine cranked and fired no problem.

As dudeman said, just because a relay clicks doesn't mean that it's working correctly...

OP
OP
J

Jram150082

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did swap the relay from my 2500 of same year and that truck runs fine... still not starting... also replaced the alternator and still nothing... starting to think it's time to consider junking it...

GzNutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Will the engine turn by hand with a socket on the crank? If the trans crapped out a while ago, any chance the torque converter is seized up?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jram150082

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No it will not turn... thank you for that info... thanks to all who OK replied for your help... going to take it to a shop near me for service... thanks all