Need help guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge girl 76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 96 Ram 1500 5.9 and it just shut off on me. It cranks and will spit and sputter and just shut down. I'm on my own here and really need my truck to run.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF, hopefully somebody that can help will chime in soon

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Welcome to RF!

Questions like yours will get a pile of questions, and many opinions and/or ideas. This is one of those "it could be one problem or several" threads.

First lets start with the obvious. Did it throw a CEL...orrrr has had one that hasn't been checked? Or it's been checked but ignored. If so it would be good to know what that is.

Does the fuel pump run when you turn the key (not start) to on? You should hear it whine for a couple of seconds.

Do you smell gas anywhere?

Does the truck start if you hold the gas pedal to the floor, then shut down when you let off? Does it stay running if you keep your foot on the gas but the engione won't hold curb idle? That could be an IAC (idle air control) on the back of your throttle body.

Now, your truck has a crank sensor on the back of block on the passengers side. Sometimes these fail without warning. This will cause a no start issue but allow the truck to crank. Same symptoms with the cam sensor which is in your distributor, but these rarely fail.

Last edited:

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF.

Okie is right. Gonna take some diagnosis.

To check for codes put the key in the ignition... off to on 3-4 times and watch the check engine light it should start flashing these flashes represent numbers. Between numbers will be a pause to separate them.
If you get 5 flashes pause 5 flashes that is a 55 code which means end of codes.

Good luck

big shrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF!

Questions like yours will get a pile of questions, and many opinions and/or ideas. This is one of those "it could be one problem or several" threads.

First lets start with the obvious. Did it throw a CEL...orrrr has had one that hasn't been checked? Or it's been checked but ignored. If so it would be good to know what that is.

Does the fuel pump run when you turn the key (not start) to on? You should hear it whine for a couple of seconds.

Do you smell gas anywhere?

Does the truck start if you hold the gas pedal to the floor, then shut down when you let off? Does it stay running if you keep your foot on the gas but the engione won't hold curb idle? That could be an IAC (idle air control) on the back of your throttle body.

Now, your truck has a crank sensor on the back of block on the passengers side. Sometimes these fail without warning. This will cause a no start issue but allow the truck to crank. Same symptoms with the cam sensor which is in your distributor, but these rarely fail.

I'm having a similar problem...changed out my water pump/hoses/thermostat, then when attempting to start it,
it ran rough for around 10-20 seconds, wouldn't idle, then ran fine...but everytime I'd shut it off,
it would get grouchy again attempting to start...coughing got worse & worse until finally Thursday nite it wouldn't start at all...
tried starter fluid in the air cleaner, but that didn't work...
can't find any vacuum hoses loose...but it did kinda sound like it had a vaccum leak...
also made sure the air cleaner assembly was on correctly...it was cocked off-kilter for two of those days...
but setting it on right didn't seem to help anything...

So now I've disconnected the negative battery cable, hoping that if its a computer thing it'll reset...
and am recharging the battery so it'll spin some more...

What is the CEL??