In need of some 46RE help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gasser
Hi everybody,
A friend of mine recommended this site to me, and so far there some pretty interesting post on here.

So, the story of my transmission:
When I bought the truck (last summer) I replaced the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. Drove beautifully up until about a month ago.
it's started staying in 3rd when coming to a stop or it wouldn't shift out of gears unless I mashed the throttle like there was no tomorrow.
Then, it started to drive just great again, shifted gears perfectly.
Last week I dropped the pan, changed the filter and took apart the solenoid and cleaned it out. Topped it up with new ATF +4 and CEL P0748 showed up.
I thought maybe since I was in the middle of checking fluid level that could be why, but the case is full.
Now, I have to manually shift gears otherwise it wont shift when in D. The only way to get 1st is to stop, shift to neutral then back to 1st. Lastly, all I have are 2nd and 3rd. The truck wont shift into O.D or lock-up.

Sorry for the novel, I'm just at my wits ends here. If i could afford a Mega Viper right now, I wouldn't even worry about these problems. But I need to try and squeeze some more miles outta that case.

Thanks for any help y'all can give.

ccd1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Hi everybody,
A friend of mine recommended this site to me, and so far there some pretty interesting post on here.

So, the story of my transmission:
When I bought the truck (last summer) I replaced the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. Drove beautifully up until about a month ago.
it's started staying in 3rd when coming to a stop or it wouldn't shift out of gears unless I mashed the throttle like there was no tomorrow.
Then, it started to drive just great again, shifted gears perfectly.
Last week I dropped the pan, changed the filter and took apart the solenoid and cleaned it out. Topped it up with new ATF +4 and CEL P0748 showed up.
I thought maybe since I was in the middle of checking fluid level that could be why, but the case is full.
Now, I have to manually shift gears otherwise it wont shift when in D. The only way to get 1st is to stop, shift to neutral then back to 1st. Lastly, all I have are 2nd and 3rd. The truck wont shift into O.D or lock-up.

Sorry for the novel, I'm just at my wits ends here. If i could afford a Mega Viper right now, I wouldn't even worry about these problems. But I need to try and squeeze some more miles outta that case.

Thanks for any help y'all can give.

Sorry for your issues. You meantioned the Mega Viper transmission. Before you settle on a crate transmission, I would personally go somewhere local and have a rebuilder rebuild the 46RE with 48RE parts or with thier rebuild parts.. It will hold up plenty. The reason I recommend this is because there have been alot of issues with PATC trans. Look at these before you drop that much coin.

Now before I get flamed here, I am just trying to make a wise decision and not suffer headaches. I am not an experienced mechanic which PATC, if you have any issues will expect you to try their troubleshooting which needs experience. If you are experienced cool but I am not so I post these for those that are not.

Their rebuild parts are great. Its the complete setups that are questionable. There are good reviews as well but I have not heard of any reviews past 2 years of usage so I cannot put much into that.

However, it seems internet purchases for trans from almost any company is not a good idea. Most recommend get good parts from them and go local. Anyway, I am just posting the following links not to bad mouth PATC but becuase I figured someone would ask. I came across reviews like these in my research about 2 weeks ago.:hidesbehindsofa:

Ripoff Report | PATC Performance Automotive ans Transmission Center Complaint Review Internet: 936397

PATC-Transmissioncenter-Bad customer service - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Bad, bad luck with PATC's 700 raptor level 3 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

yoadrian5534

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
Hello,

Just wanted to throw my hat into this ring with the same exact issue in the hopes that a good fix shows up eventually.

I replaced that pressure sensor, the shift solenoid, and the speed sensor only to have the exact same issue remain and still throws the exact same code. "Shift Solenoid A"...

Can't decide to turn it over to the pros for tons of money or replace the sensor/solenoid again hoping I only received faulty parts.??? Since I don't have that kind of money readily available, believe the decision is already made...

I'll wait for that awesome reply from someone with this kinda experience!!!