new (to me) 2001 ram sport w/ coolant smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
alright guys heres the deal, i just bought this 2001 ram 1500 sport off road edition, test drove it about a week ago, didn't notice a coolant smell, picked her up yesterday and on my way home i noticed what looked to be condensation blowing out of the top two center vents, then i realized i smelled coolant as well. Now I've searched the issue and think i have a heater core problem? But there is no coolant on the passenger side floor. if i were to bypass the heater core (i don't use heater much due to living in AZ) would i still have the smell? or would i just be completely bypassing the heater core and basically fixed? i will for sure replace the heater core eventually, but as of right now i really don't went to lol. :favorites13:

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can bypass the heater core which will stop anti-freeze from circulating through the heater core but you will still have the smell and residual coolant in the lines and core itself.

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
You can bypass the heater core which will stop anti-freeze from circulating through the heater core but you will still have the smell and residual coolant in the lines and core itself.

so how would i go about getting rid of the smell and residual coolant in the lines?

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
a flush may take care of some of it.. but if that doesn't help then only a heater core change (id also recommend replacing the evaporator core while youre in there) and cleaning the box really well before reassembly would take care of it..

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
Ok guys so I bypassed my heater core (until I buy a new dash) tonight I popped the hood to check on the two heater core tubes and noticed a small amount of what's either antifreeze or r134a with dye coming out of the compressor where the clutch bolts meet the rest of the compressor. .is there a gasket there?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
No gasket is there, there is a seal behind the clutch on the pumps shaft. You will not be able to see without the a/c clutch removed.