Newbie with Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yea there about. mine is like 650 to 700 but that's after it's warmed up. about 800 to 850 cold.

OP
OP
S

scott.ragan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I'm going to say its not the throttle body, gasket, or tps sensor. So next Ill explore the plenum gasket. I tried to shoot some video of what its doing but the sound quality its horrible. Flooring it blows the tires off. Regular acceleration it pops and gags. Idling it slowly dies and you begin to hear a loud hissing noise like air sucking.

OP
OP
S

scott.ragan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
found this broken vacuum line. What it does is beyond me. Its part of a spider web of lines that hook up to the side of the plenum. This one goes through the firewall.

IMG_20110128_170520.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scott.ragan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright well we've moved on from the engine bay. Replaced the plenum gaskets, serpentine belt, thermostat while we were in there. No change. BUT new development. Think we found the problem. The wife had a friend fix the truck last summer while I was deployed. He gutted the cats. So I'm assuming the computer is over compensating the air/fuel mix due to the o2 sensor reading full blown exhaust. I'm going to try the spark plug anti fouler in the o2 **** trick tomorrow

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well that is a good find. normally gutted cats won't cause much more than an engine light saying that the post o2 is bad. But who knows. I hat to see you throwing money at a random problem. I was going to suggest a vacuum leak. The picture you posted looks to be for the blower door but I'm not 100% sure on that. Hope the non foulers fix your problem. I'm running out of ideas. If you do figure it out let us know. Cause this one is stumping me.

OP
OP
S

scott.ragan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well i think i found the problem. TSB 18-48-98

Now that i think about it, this all started happening after i replaced the plugs and plug wires. I cant believe these wires are so ****** that if you dont run them in a specific way you get problems. Anyone know of any aftermarket super insulated plug wires that dont have these problems?

Edit: The non-foulers did eliminate the check engine light from coming on due to gutted cats. so bonus there I'll post the part number for them, didnt have to drill them out or anything the sensor fit perfectly in it and it threaded right in.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's crazy. I would order a set of "performance" wires.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
What wires did you replace the old ones with? I have never had an issue with the Napa pro wires on anything or a set of MSD Superconductors.

OP
OP
S

scott.ragan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What wires did you replace the old ones with? I have never had an issue with the Napa pro wires on anything or a set of MSD Superconductors.

I dont know what brand they are, the wife had them in behind the seat. She bought them the year before and never used them. Grey with black boots. Probably your basic auto zone cheapies

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I've changed the oil, new plugs, new plug wires, distro cap.

Im not questioning your mechanical abilitly by any means so please dont take it the wrong way. Its easy to get a Disp cap ******** and also maybe the plug wires mixed up. I would double check all that.

OP
OP
S

scott.ragan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im not questioning your mechanical abilitly by any means so please dont take it the wrong way. Its easy to get a Disp cap ******** and also maybe the plug wires mixed up. I would double check all that.

Oh thats how i found that TSB about the plug wiring, i was double checking my work on the distributer and firing order. I'll go over it all when I get home. The wife is picking me up non cheapie set of plug wires right now. i figure 8.8mm wires should do the trick.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yeah that is a good size, you can turn the cap to advance it some to see if it smooths out your idle alill but I wouldnt move it to far without a timing light.