no oil pressure according to the guage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram digger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Hey guys, I've recently been working on my 97 RAM 1500 with the 318. Trouble I'm having is no oil pressure at the guage . I had the oil pan off a while back to paint it, while it was off I figured good time to replace the rear crank seal and oil pump. I was careful with the installation of the new pump making sure the shaft was lined up properly. so I don't think that's the cause. Also cleaned the strainer and tube. My truck is manual, had to take the tranny out to replace a shift fork. so while it was out the motor was slanted towards the fire wall, I'm thinking that the oil pressure unit may have had some pressure on it witch could have created this situation

my questions are how can I check to make sure oil is pumping through my motor? And installing a mechanical guage is the best way to diagnose what is really going on?

Any advice is muchly apricated thanks

KenBerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I've always been told that a mechanical gauge is the only way to get the actual pressure.

If the 318 is like the 360, the pressure sending unit is on the top rear of the engine next to the distributor and in a perfect location to be damaged if you tilt the front of the engine up like you say.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I have both installed and working in my truck, I don't go by the dash psi gauge at all. A mechanical gauge provides accurate info all the time.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with installing a T and having both operate. Idiot light can be helpful in case you aren't paying attention. Changing the sender is probably the quickest way for the OP to be sure he has any pressure at all. How much pressure is another story.

OP
OP
Ram digger

Ram digger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Thanks guys , baught a new sending unit and will fab up a T for the mechanical gauge. I'll get it done this week and see what happens. I see you did up a DIY merc so thank you for that. I'll get'rdone

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you had no pressure, you'd know it. lol

But I'm with the others: install a test gauge and see what its pressure really is.