OBD 2 wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
At work today I was tryin to diagnose a problem a guy had with his superchips tuner. The tuner was not getting constant power from the OBD 2 port like it should have been to sustain itself. If you turned the key to the On position the tuner would get power and work but as soon as you were required by the tuner to turn the key off it would lose power and restart itself. My question is, does anyone know the wiring order of the port? As in which wire is supposed to have a constant 12v source in the OBD 2 port? Any help would be appreciated, I wanna get this guys tuner workin. Oh and btw it's a 97 Ram 1500 with the 5.9L.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think they had OBDII until '98. I think '97 had OBDI, that may be the problem.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
sounds like a winner to me ^^^^

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nah my 96 caddy had OBDII and it was built in 95, my guess is a bad fuse, thats the first thing they tell you to check if the tuner doesnt get power

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just went to SC's site, they do not have anything listed for dodge rams before '98. You may want to check with scott just to make sure though.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nah my 96 caddy had OBDII and it was built in 95, my guess is a bad fuse, thats the first thing they tell you to check if the tuner doesnt get power

Are you sure it was OBDII, not OBDI, they look the same, but do not communicate the same.

OP
OP
Shiloh 24

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Are you sure it was OBDII, not OBDI, they look the same, but do not communicate the same.

It is an OBD II because the tuner communicates fine with the truck, it just loses power when the key is turned off. I spent 30 minutes with a test light checking every single fuse I could find and all the wiring going to the port is in good condition so i was at a loss. I have a feeling the owner screwed something up, he had lights wired up like complete redneck style and he had a giant ass sub box with Dual (walmart brand) 10" subs and a Dual (pos) headunit. Every bit of it was rigged so who knows what this guy did.

Also the tuner was the 3865 flashpaq model, so that being the newer tuner could have been some of the problem?