oil pan gasket replacement for '98 5.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Baseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
I tried some searches but couldn't find what I was looking for, I'm sure there is info but I really need help.

Couple weeks after replacing water pump, thermostat, and housing my timing cover started leaking coolant. I did torque bolts in criss cross pattern to specified 30lbs.

So far I know (from Haynes) I can remove the two oil pan bolts to timing cover, loosen other oil pan bolts, and move oil pan enough to remove timing cover. But it seems in order to remove oil pan (have leak) engine must be raised.

Is there anyway to remove oil pan without unbolting motor mounts (and possibly exhaust and trans) to clean pan and replace gasket? I would like to install larger pick up or at least remove and clean.

I know to remove starter and flywheel cover plate to access oil pan bolts but is there a way to remove pick up (sump) and get oil pan out?

This is a first for me on '98 Ram with 5.2. I have compressor and air gun for 1 1/4" (32mm) crankshaft bolt. Just hoping easier way to remove oil pan. Thank you