Ok, New and not sure where to post - Speedometer issue (jumping)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
It seems to work well up to about 40 - 60. Then it starts jumping all over the place. I just picked this truck up last night 'on the cheap' as a fall hunting and summer hauling truck. Not trying to make it perfect, but when the cops ask 'you know why I pulled you over?', I'd like to not have to tell them I have faulty speedo (I hear that only works once, well if so, that's used up ;) ).

I've tried to find ideas via google, but a lot of the posts on ask and such are just stupid. So I thought I'd try here.

The one post I saw that many said 'worked' was to make sure all the items associated with the speedometer are tight and connections sprayed with electrical spray (or something like that). That's all good, except I'm a computer guy, not a mechanic and I don't know what 'all the parts' are or where I may find them.

Now, I WANT to learn (been working on my S10 Blazer way too much in last year), but just need some pictures or good detail as to what to look for under the old girl.

She's a 1996 RAM 2500 8.0L V10 4x4 (long box). She has 145k miles. She is (was) a city girl (Minneapolis) so not a lot of hauling - just an occasional U-Haul trailer.

Thanks in advance. She's got 'sloppy steering' too, so I found that helpful hint on here earlier. Going to try to get that fixed up after her appointment for new tires today.

Thanks in advance, your help and ideas are appreciated.

Last edited:

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Speed Sensor? Its above the rear diff somewheres, someone with a second gen (thats you TONY!) will have to tell you how to check that.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Good thing I'm not really a Tony :) I have no idea (though am looking for a shop manual this afternoon).

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nah I mean bigman Tony not you tony lol

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Lol gee thanks daniel. Yea daniel is right. More than likely its the speed sensor. Usually about 30 or so bucks at your local auto parts store. Only takes maybe 10 min. If ya need pics i'll take some to help ya out. I have a simple dig for sloppy steering. It usually will help. I also have the shop manual in the dig section. Check it out. Welcome to the forum btw.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Thanks for the quick replys!

On my way to bring it to the tire shop, the speedometer just stopped working completely. It went haywire for about 20 minutes of the drive (bouncing from 0 - 30mph, then from 50-90, then finally dropped to 0 and didn't move). At the time it dropped to zero, the odometer stopped turning too. Then shortly after that (about 10 miles) the check engine light came on.

The Maint light is on and I'm trying to find a way to clear that too w/o having it go in. We don't have any emissions rules here and I'm not sure I want to spend the 90.00 on getting things checked out while I figure out all the other battles.

I looked for the OBD II connection, but I'm guessing this is a bit too old for that. I found a plug under the steering wheel (to the right), is that what is needed to read the diagnostic codes? If so, what sort of tool do I need to acquire to read and clear them? Thanks again. Going to shop to get a speed sensor tonight. I'll try to take some pictures while I'm under there (before and after) as I like to pass on what I see and learn.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the rest of the gauges are workin? Im guessing the speed sensor took a crap on you, the odo and the speedo are linked so if it thinks you are going 0 the odo aint gonna turn. Yeah the plug under the dash on your vehicle is probably gonna be an OBD I, maybe II. I think they started with OBD II in 96 so it may or may not be on yours. Best thing to do is to take it to autozone or somewhere similar and usually they will read codes for you for free.

Be sure to post on here what code you get so we can help you figure out what it means.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Right on Daniel. Sounds like a classic case of the Rear Wheel Speed sensor. Stop up at an autozone. They will read the code and get you the speed sensor. Let us know what code it is. It may be a random code associated who knows. Also I believe your truck is gonna be OBD1. But depends on the time of year. 1996 IIRC was the first year for the start of OBD2 Some have it some don't. Not 100% Sure on the dates and times for the switch. I know for a fact after 98 is OBD2.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
I do have an OBD II reader, and it's definitely not that (not the short look I took at it at least).

I did encounter something that is odd. But, first, yes, the rest of the dash seems to work (oil, temp, rpm...).

What happened a bit while I was in LaCrosse was that the truck didn't seem to shift well at about 60mph. Now, mind you, I've had it all of about 22 hours right now so I'm not an expert at it's shift points. At about 60 I was at 2500rpm and at 71 it wound up to about 3100rpm and just wouldn't shift up again. I tried to go up to about 77 and take foot off gas (it slowed very quickly) and then back on to 'manually' shift it.

I'm hoping that this is related to the speed sensor in some way, but my fear is transmission is going. Any ideas or things to test? I'm going to go to autozone (or wherever I can get into tomorrow afternoon) at lunch tomorrow. I tried to order a differential speed sensor (think it's designated as the 'rear' speed sensor online and on the auto store's computer). But nobody had them in stock and it was 3 days shipping. I can get one online (Delco..but isn't that GM?) for 12.00 less than lowest estimate given to me tonight (about 50.00). Nobody could get me a picture of where it's located either. I, and my brother in law (who is MUCH more mechanical than I) both went down in my oil pit tonight to try to find it and didn't have much luck -- pretty rusty down thar, so any pictures or links to an explosion image would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and on a side note. The new tires are GREAT! The sloppy steering is gone just by that. I knew the right front was bad -- that's why replacing all. But upon looking, it was the only LT tire on the girl. The rest were same size (different brand) P rated! I put the right ones on (according to sticker in door) and it was a pleasure to drive home (other than the shifting issue I think I've got).

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well from what it sounds like it might be the sensor on the back of the transmission. But not 100%. The rear wheel sensor should be a normaly stocked item. Unless for some odd reason it was out of stock. I'll take some pics of it in the mornin to show you where it is located. Glad the tires worked out for ya though that is always a big help. Does the truck happen to have an od off option by chance?? If that was enabled it would act that way. But sounds like a relay in the transmission to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Yes, it does have a push button switch on the dash that is for the OD. I've tried using that to see if it changed anything (having the OD off should increase the rpms I think, right?) but nothing happened. The switch lit up when it's in the 'out' position (it's dark and I'm driving when I did it, so I'm not sure if it's in the 'in' position or 'out' position when the light comes on, but the light does come on). I know the light means nothing, especially since I couldn't feel anything different. I did test it the first night on the way home (when the speedometer was bouncing) and the rpms did increase a bit, not a huge amount but maybe 500 (ish) rpm. So I figured it was working, but now it doesn't seem to do anything (or may be stuck in the OD "off" position no matter what the button or light says?).

Thanks, I look forward to seeing the picture. Going to try to get the afternoon off to play with the thing before having to get ready for the youth hunt with my nephew and nieces this weekend.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned. Sounds kinda like the OD Off was working. it should be in when its on but I have the new style so I can't tell you for certain. Sounds like the relay in the transmission could have gone out or the transmission locked up with OD off. Pics will be up in a little bit. Gotta upload them yet. Did you find the service manual posted in the DIY section??

Pic: Angle is from the drivers side.

834285775_photobucket_15813_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
The only manual I saw when I was in there was for a 2001 RAM. Let me look again (or are they so similar that it should work?).

I did find the owners manual and such in the front bench arm rest last night too. I hadn't had it down as I normally don't like it to rest on. I'll have to look in there and see if there are any notes or paperwork showing what may have been done to her by the previous owner.

Just started downloading the manual that was there (2001ramsrvcmanual.zip)

Last edited:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
For most intensive purposes its the same. There are some minor differences like locations of sensors and what not. But the trouble shooting should be about the same.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Well the fun continues. As I'm looking at the door jam documentation, I notice that the vehicle was manufactured in July of 1995, not 1996 as was advertised and written on the bill of sale. Oi.

Not been a good start with this one. Guess you can't trust anyone selling through local ads (especially on craigslist). I still think I got a good deal on it, so not overly disappointed as i paid what I thought it was worth (not the asking price).

But, I do need an obd I reader and autozone only reads vehicles newer than 1996! Doh! Figures. Trying to find an OBD reader for the RAM 2500. Anyone know of a good one. I don't want to go out and pay over $200 for it (for that price I can have the garage do it).

Thanks. Sorry for being such a pain, but I'm learning new stuff every day!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hey no problem man. We all learn from our ventures. My truck actually was manufactured in 1997 for the 1998 model year. So I have a few screwy issues being a combo. As for an OBD reader you may want to try walmart. I think they have a universal one. I know my local auto parts store has obd1 but its like a hundred bucks.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Ok, got under the truck tonight and looked on/near/above the rear differential and no joy. Nothing that seemed to be hanging around that looked like that. I did get a haynes repair manual, but no mention of a speed sensor - go figure.

*Had* to go hunting so didn't have but about 20 minutes to look, will try again tomorrow morning.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Man its hard to miss. Right on top of the diff housing. Almost right in line with the driveshaft. Now it may not have the cover on it like mine does. Its the only thing on top of the diff. Good luck on your hunting trip and good luck on finding it.

One another thought. It may be in the back of the transmission. I have heard of one back there. So maybe it is there instead. Double check your haynes. Maybe you will be able to teach us a lil somethin lol.

OP
OP
C

CaptnTony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L - V10
Now, I did find the transmission speed sensor. That's up front on the trannie. That is very easy to get to. The only references I've found to speed sensors are the ABS speed sensor and the transmission speed sensor so far, nothing about a differential speed sensor. Have to drive to LaCrosse to get her registered, then will check when I get back.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Abs speed sensor on the later models do it all so maybe on yours its split. One for the tranny and one on the diff for the abs sensor. If you have an abs light on I say abs speed sensor. If not my guess would be transmission speed sensor. But with the other problems you posted I would be leaning to wards the tranny speed sensor.